top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

STUPID question. Should I lie about my assets?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

STUPID question. Should I lie about my assets?

Hi everyone,
    I have a very stupid (I think) question. I am going to be filing sometime in the near future. I know on the BK paperwork that you have to list all assets, property etc. I seriously have NOTHING. No car, no house, nothing. I have an (old) tv, a bed, a desk, a treadmill, clothes and just cheap jewelry from stores like Claire's/Forever21 etc. That's it. Nothing else. I live in a condo w/my roommate and it is furnished with all new furniture he bought as well as furniture from his moms house/college etc. I am thinking that if I list my TRUE assets (which are next to nothing), the trustee might get suspicious since I am in my late 20s and I think it's very rare (and sad) to not have much of anything @ that age. So...I was thinking of listing my roommates belongings as MY furniture, my odds/ends so that it doesn't raise any suspicion. I am stressed enough as it is just THINKING about filing (this is why I have been on here for 3 years and still haven't filed) and am trying to avoid anything that might make this even more nerve-wracking than it already is. Also, I don't know if I could get in trouble since it IS lying but not in a way such as trying to hide assets or anything like that. Anyone else been in this type of situation or have any advice? Thanks so much.

Originally posted by Beeheery View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I have a very stupid (I think) question. I am going to be filing sometime in the near future. I know on the BK paperwork that you have to list all assets, property etc. I seriously have NOTHING. No car, no house, nothing. I have an (old) tv, a bed, a desk, a treadmill, clothes and just cheap jewelry from stores like Claire's/Forever21 etc. That's it. Nothing else. I live in a condo w/my roommate and it is furnished with all new furniture he bought as well as furniture from his moms house/college etc. I am thinking that if I list my TRUE assets (which are next to nothing), the trustee might get suspicious since I am in my late 20s and I think it's very rare (and sad) to not have much of anything @ that age. So...I was thinking of listing my roommates belongings as MY furniture, my odds/ends so that it doesn't raise any suspicion. I am stressed enough as it is just THINKING about filing (this is why I have been on here for 3 years and still haven't filed) and am trying to avoid anything that might make this even more nerve-wracking than it already is. Also, I don't know if I could get in trouble since it IS lying but not in a way such as trying to hide assets or anything like that. Anyone else been in this type of situation or have any advice? Thanks so much.

NO.

Its against the law.

You should not worry about not having assets or being a deadbeat at your age. You are very young in the picture of life. If you have to file, then you have to file.

Just find a way to make money (college, whatever). Grab the world by the nuts and walk by faith, my friend.

Good luck!

Comment

You are right. It is a stupid question and it really ticks me off. People on this forum are going through extremely stressful times and part of the stress is worrying whether or not they remembered to tell their lawyers or trustees everything...and here you are asking if you should LIE to the trustee. Ah duh...what do you think??

Comment

So what happens if the Trustee wants your roommate's furniture?

It's best not to lie. You won't get into trouble that way.

Comment

I dont know many 20-something's that have much of anything - so I dont believe the trustee will think anything of it at all.

Dont lie - that's never the way.

Comment

Thank you. I know it obviously is not a smart choice to lie, but I figured me having next to nothing is rare. Alot of people on this forum have questions because they have so many assets and want to protect them, homes, cars etc. I didn't mean to piss anyone off. I was just asking for advice so I could avoid a nervous breakdown.

Comment

What, doesn't anyone else remember their 20's! PARTY TIME. Heck that's where all my money went, so I understand completely (not that this is where the OP's money went). That is the best time to enjoy life without being all tied down to a bunch of "stuff."

Anyway OP, don't worry about the negative replies. The answer to your question is do not lie as it could come back to bite you in the end. Tell the complete truth. If the trustee does not believe you have no assets he/she will waste their time to investigate. They may want to send someone out to your place to look around (perform and audit) but no big deal if you are telling the truth.

Best of luck!
              Filed CH 7 - 5/21/10, 341 Meeting - 7/9/10, Report of no distribution - 7/12/10
              Last day to object - 9/7/10
              Discharged - 9/14/10
              Closed - 9/21/10

Comment

Thank you Doudis. Wow, your discharge date is close! Less than a month away! Good luck!

Comment

Don't lie. Even if all the furniture was yours, it has got to be exempt anyway. Also, trustees don't care about household goods.

Comment

Im 36 and barely have much (except wonderful family) so I must be a real loser! haha
                    No.. obviously you've heard it.. don't lie. They could take you roommates stuff!
                    Filing cpt.7 11/09 341- 1/21/10
                    Report of no distribution 1/21/10
                    Scheduled for discharge 3/22/10 (on my 15th wedding anniversary!)

Comment

Don't even think it, much less do it.

You do know the meaning of "under oath" I presume?
                      All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
                      Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

When I was in my 20's I had all second hand furniture, yardsale pots and pans, walmart dishes, a few framed posters (think $5 posted in $10 frame) some cd's, movies, books, and a nice computer and my wedding ring. That's it other than junk. "My" tv wasn't even mine- a friend lent me one.

I think it is really normal to not have much in your 20's. As a matter of fact if you have a bunch of good stuff, but then try to say you have been broke for 3 years THAT looks funny to them. Don't lie. Your roommate would be pi$$ed if you listed their stuff and then the trustee wanted to take it to pay YOUR debts.
                        I am not an attorney. I am just a fellow passenger on a sinking ship. Anything posted above is my opinion or best guess, and nothing more.

Comment

Originally posted by Beeheery View Post
                          Thank you. I know it obviously is not a smart choice to lie, but I figured me having next to nothing is rare.
                          Nope, not rare at all. I decorated my home in the style my mom calls "Early Poverty" well into my 30s. Ah, how I miss those milk-crate bookcases, cable spool coffee tables, futons on the floor, and 40-year-old sofas!
                          DH laid off 3/08 | Last mortgage payment 12/09 | Filed Ch13 5/10 | Converted to Ch7 7/10 | 341 held 8/10 | AP filed by secured creditor 10/10 | Ch7 discharged & closed 11/10 | Foreclosure 10/2011

Comment

LOL I figured this would be a well I have a 5000 tv can I LIE post. Do not worry I am 25 and next to my jeep and a few small nice things I have nothing and will tell the trustee that. Besides better say nothing the lie and have to pay for your roommates stuff. I doubt they will come and check to see if you own a couch

Comment

You just have to get out of the mindset of impressing others.

First of all, nobody cares.

More importantly, in your BK case, they definitely could care less what your situation is.

Good luck.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X