I got a question about a debt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got a question about a debt

My mom and dad had some property they wanted to build a house on. The first thing was getting a septic or making sure the property was ok for one. Dad asked me to find someone who could do it. I called a guy out of the phone book who did septic designs. With the layout of the property my dad thought it might be a good idea for someone who had no interest in what the system cost design it. So i called the guy for my parents and set up a meeting. When they had the meeting I was there.

he told them for 1500 bucks he would design a system for their needs and over see the install. So they hired him, and gave him 250.00 down and the balance when the job was done. He told them the system they needed and what he would design would run $6500 to $8500 and he could give them some info for contractors he knew would do it for that.

When he got done designing it he called out two guys he knew. Both came back with estimates of $14,500 to $15,000 for the same system he said could be done for 6500to8500. They called the guy and asked if he felt the numbers they give us were high. he told them that was about right.

We called two guys who where recommended to us by friends. One was 12,000 the other 13,500 so my parents called and asked him why his numbers where so low. He said he did not account for dirt remove(there was none the dirt was to be used to level off the property) and equipment fees and he figured parts cost only.

So after talking to some installers who felt his system was way over done and expensive they opted not to use his design and since he did not complete his job(*an autocad 3d layout of the property) they did not pay him.

Why would I care you would ask. I never made an agreement with the guy, never offered him money I just meant with him to help my parents understand the autocad drawings, and technique stuff(design student) ant it nice how helping family causes problems.

6 months ago he sent them a letter saying if he did not get paid he would sue them for the money and if he could not get it from them he would sue me since I represented them and am responsible since they did not pay him.

It hit me now as I am writing out anyone I owe money to not on my credit.

Is there any chance I could be held liable for the money, since I did not make an agreement, did not own the property, and did not sign anything?

Or should I include him anyway to make sure. I

Include anyome who could conceivably have a claim.

Comment

all possiblel debts

Hi bigtime,

Sounds to me like he is bluffing to try and get some $$ out of you. You didn't put the 250 down or sign any papers right?

I should remember from your other posts, but have you filed yet? If all this happens b4 filing, the guy can't come after you anyhow.

General rule: put anyone possible on the creditors matrix. Saves hassles later.

Tell your folks to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, that guy obviously doesn't know his business!!

Ha! I got through w/o any bad puns about the subject of the matter...

Tom in Colo
      Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

I signed nor gave him anything.
        Originally posted by tcreegan View Post
        Hi bigtime,

Sounds to me like he is bluffing to try and get some $$ out of you. You didn't put the 250 down or sign any papers right?

I should remember from your other posts, but have you filed yet? If all this happens b4 filing, the guy can't come after you anyhow.

General rule: put anyone possible on the creditors matrix. Saves hassles later.

Tell your folks to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, that guy obviously doesn't know his business!!

Ha! I got through w/o any bad puns about the subject of the matter...

Tom in Colo

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X