Allowed to save during a chapter 7?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Allowed to save during a chapter 7?

New York's exemption is $2,500, but does that matter in a chapter 7? Is one allowed to save as much money as they want during a chapter 7 (before the 341 meeting)? Thanks.
    Filed August 20 341 on September 23 Report of No Distribution - September 24 Case Discharged and Closed on November 23!!!

Theoretically whatever you receive after the filing date is yours all yours (unless it was already owed to you on the date you filed.) Exemptions apply to assets that were yours on the filing date.

But as with a lot of bk law there are potential issues. If you're able to save a significant amount in just the 45 days between filing and the 341 meeting, it could cause questions to come up such as:

- Was this money you were already owed and belongs in the bk estate?
    - Is this evidence of DMI (disposable monthly income) that could be used to fund a Chapter 13?
    - Have you received a jump in income, which will cause the TT to ask you to amend your Schedules I & J, which, once again, could cause you to have DMI and be able to fund a Chapter 13?

Now I wouldn't expect a problem if it can be accounted for by a normal variation of cash flow during the month and expenses month to month. Just be ready to explain that it isn't evidence that your filing needs to be changed based on the issues above.
    12/2009 Stopped paying CCs; 3/10 1st suit;
    8/2010 finally served; No Asset 7 filed. 11 mos since last bal xfer
    9/22/10 60 day club; 9/24/10 report of no distr; 11/23/10 DISCHARGED

Comment

Thanks, kept, it would all be salary - minus expenses.
      Filed August 20 341 on September 23 Report of No Distribution - September 24 Case Discharged and Closed on November 23!!!

Comment

drowning, if you are talking of saving a substantial (read Chapter 13) amount post-filing and pre-341 or discharge, then you could be setting yourself up for the trustee to take adverse action against your case, such as conversion to CH13.
        Stopped paying: 08/10, Filed CH7: 08/27/10 , 341 & No Asset Report: 10/6/10, Last day to object: 12/06/10, Discharged: 12/07/10, Closed: 12/08/10
        AHEM.....NOT AN ATTORNEY, NOT ADVICE, ETC, ETC

Comment

Gotcha, ccsjoe.

Comment

What if you are saving to pay property taxes coming due in October? I hope to file in afew weeks. We paid the atty. and now are starting almost from scratch with a property tax bill coming due. We expect to have that set aside... is that something to be worried about? I am in NY.

Comment

I should not expect it to be a problem since you are listing property taxes on your schedules as expenses, and you can clearly show the money went there.
              Stopped paying: 08/10, Filed CH7: 08/27/10 , 341 & No Asset Report: 10/6/10, Last day to object: 12/06/10, Discharged: 12/07/10, Closed: 12/08/10

Comment

Originally posted by Amanda123 View Post
                What if you are saving to pay property taxes coming due in October? I hope to file in afew weeks. We paid the atty. and now are starting almost from scratch with a property tax bill coming due. We expect to have that set aside... is that something to be worried about? I am in NY.
                If you can't exempt the cash on hand, then yes, it's something to be worried about. The trustee isn't going to care if the money is for groceries, your mortgage payment, or your property taxes, if it's in your possession on the day you file and you can't exempt it, he'll want it. I would bet that you could go down to the property tax office and pay it a couple of months early though and they'd gladly take your money.
                Filed Chapter 13 on 2-28-10. 341 completed 4/14/10. Confirmed 5/14/10. Lien strip granted 2/2/11
                0% payback to unsecured creditors, 56 payments down, 4 to go....

Comment

I misread. I thought money was going to be paid prior to. momofthree is right. See if you can either exempt or pay in advance.

Comment

Thank you both. We won't have too much saved by the time we file (actually unsure of exactly when that will be). I turned all of the paperwork in today and wrote the atty. their check. I will ask the atty or paralegal about this. Thanks for your replies.

Comment

I asked my atty's assistant about that, we are letting the house go and have been trying to save $$ for the security deposit on a rental. She said that the approximately $1500 that we'll have in savings will not be a big deal because it's easy to explain as the deposit for a rental.

Comment

Be careful with that, I asked my atty this exact question and he said If I don't have an exemption for it then it is NOT exempt. The trustee does not care if it is for taxes, business travel, rent tomorrow, food or anything else that is necessary...if it's in the bank on file day then it's fair game.
                        I am not an attorney. I am just a fellow passenger on a sinking ship. Anything posted above is my opinion or best guess, and nothing more.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X