Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BAC HELOC shows 0 balance after BK7?

Just looked online at my BAC accounts and this HELOC on my home shows a 0 balance and no past due amount (8 months behind), and no future payment due.

I did include this in the bankruptcy but what happens next?

I never received any collection letters, just a few "can we help" offers a few months ago.
    Not sure if it was charged off or what happened?
    It is underwater,45k heloc, 163k first mortgage, total value approximately 120k.

Originally posted by indeep59 View Post

Just looked online at my BAC accounts and this HELOC on my home shows a 0 balance and no past due amount (8 months behind), and no future payment due.

I did include this in the bankruptcy but what happens next?

I never received any collection letters, just a few "can we help" offers a few months ago.
    Not sure if it was charged off or what happened?
    It is underwater,45k heloc, 163k first mortgage, total value approximately 120k.
    Did you reaffirm? If not, they are not allowed to report future payments and balances because it was included in Bankruptcy - so the standard reporting for IIB-accounts applies.
    Filed CH7 9/24/2010, 341 on 10/28/2010, Disch.&Closed: 1/6/2011. FICO EX: 9/2: 672.
    FICO EQ: pre-filing: 573, After BK Public Record: 568, 10/3: 673.
    FICO TU: pre-filing: 589, After BK Public Record: 563, 9/2: 706.

Comment

I see.
      What happens though to the debt? Charge off, foreclosure,etc?
      Will they try to contact me to settle it?

Comment

Originally posted by indeep59 View Post
        I see.
        PERSONALLY, you are not liable for the debt any more. However, it is still "attached" to your house/lien. If you owe more on the first than what the property is worth, your Chapter 7 makes a foreclosure even less likely - they can't collect from the foreclosure and they can't collect from you because it is discharged - However, they would have to pay the first lien holder the entire amount owed on the first mortgage.

A settlement might be a good solution if you intend to keep the home. Due to the discharge, the lien might only have a "paper-value" if you are underwater on the house and they might be willing to settle for pennies on the Dollar.

I have to ask if the HELOC is your only "mortgage" though...if you don't have a first mortgage, BAC is in a better position to foreclose.
        Filed CH7 9/24/2010, 341 on 10/28/2010, Disch.&Closed: 1/6/2011. FICO EX: 9/2: 672.
        FICO EQ: pre-filing: 573, After BK Public Record: 568, 10/3: 673.
        FICO TU: pre-filing: 589, After BK Public Record: 563, 9/2: 706.

Comment

Hi indeep59,

I see.

It was discharged in the BK. So your zero balance is correct (and make sure that is what your credit report shows too)

It survives the BK as a lien on the house, second to the first mortgage.

If the house is underwater, the second is essentially worthless. Which is why they will usually settle for pennies on the dollar.

You have to contact them. If they ask you, it could be a violation of BK rules and they could be fined.

Of course this is assuming you are keeping the house...

Congrats on the discharge,

Tom in Colo
          Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

Originally posted by IBroke View Post
            PERSONALLY, you are not liable for the debt any more. However, it is still "attached" to your house/lien. If you owe more on the first than what the property is worth, your Chapter 7 makes a foreclosure even less likely - they can't collect from the foreclosure and they can't collect from you because it is discharged - However, they would have to pay the first lien holder the entire amount owed on the first mortgage.

A settlement might be a good solution if you intend to keep the home. Due to the discharge, the lien might only have a "paper-value" if you are underwater on the house and they might be willing to settle for pennies on the Dollar.

I have to ask if the HELOC is your only "mortgage" though...if you don't have a first mortgage, BAC is in a better position to foreclose.
            No the heloc is not the only mortgage,I have a first too. It's definitely underwater, 210k in mortgages, 120-150 BEST case scenario, more likely 90k..

Comment

Originally posted by tcreegan View Post
              Hi indeep59,

I see.

It was discharged in the BK. So your zero balance is correct (and make sure that is what your credit report shows too)

It survives the BK as a lien on the house, second to the first mortgage.

If the house is underwater, the second is essentially worthless. Which is why they will usually settle for pennies on the dollar.

You have to contact them. If they ask you, it could be a violation of BK rules and they could be fined.

Of course this is assuming you are keeping the house...

Congrats on the discharge,

Tom in Colo
              Thanks.
              The only way I'm keeping it is the first mortgage has to modify, and they are not being very cooperative. (Astoria Federal)
              They've already served me with a foreclosure summons that I've responded to. We'll see what happens.

Comment

So if a house is so far under water that it will take say ten years for the value to equal the balance on the first one could file a ch7 and settle on the side or file a ch13 after four years of the ch7 discharge? It would be a ch20 but if one waits after the four years is it OK. This way after the ch7 one may be able to save up enough to settle considering no longer paying the 2nd and relief from other obligations.

If you want to respond with "Why would you want to save the house under those circumstances?" just don't.
                11/23/'10-filed ch 13. 1/6/'11-341, confirmed. Below median. Plan completed 11/30/2015. DISSCHARGED 4/4/2016.JP

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X