student loan reporting after ch 7 discharge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

student loan reporting after ch 7 discharge

I just found out a student loan I cosigned for and thought was discharged in my 7 was not. It`s relatively small, $1200 or so. i would like to put this off till early next year and payoff with my tax refund. Does anyone know if they can report to the credit bureaus since it was included in the ch7? I`ve talked to them after they called me. I was truly surprised, but learned it`s normal for student loans not to be discharged, even though it was listed with all the other debts. So far they have been reasonable on the phone, but they do want to set something up.

I don't know about the cosigning and how that could change the situation but student loans remain by and large ineligible for discharge. But then you know that now. Sorry you weren't aware of this before. Your attorney should have let you know.

They do report. At least, mine do. I expect that all student loan lenders do though.

See if you can defer payment based on economic circumstances. Deferments are usually for six months.
    11/2008 - Filed Chapter 13
    02/2010 - Chapter 13 dismissed
    08/2010 - Filed Chapter 7 pro se in new district
    09/2010 - Chapter 7 341

Comment

It was a student loan from citibank, and I never thought it was anything more than a credit card type loan. I never mentioned it to my lawyer, cause I never thought it wouldn`t be a dischargeable debt. Thanks for the info. I guess I`ll just find a way to start paying it.

Comment

Hi maddog.

Maybe someone will have a better response than me. I believe there was also a recent thread wherein it was explained that all educational loans generally cannot be discharged -- perhaps that was your own thread.

At any rate, too bad. I'll bet Citibank isn't nearly as easy to deal with as Sally Mae. Let us know what you're able to work out.

Good luck.
        11/2008 - Filed Chapter 13
        02/2010 - Chapter 13 dismissed
        08/2010 - Filed Chapter 7 pro se in new district
        09/2010 - Chapter 7 341

Comment

student loans not dischargeable; federal or private

Hi maddog2112,

Unfortunately empowered has it right: all educational loans generally cannot be discharged

Thank Congress for slipping that in the BACPA law

Tom in Colo
          Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

Thanks tcreegan, Yea I remember the Bacpa in 05 and also who couldn`t wait to put the law in. I didn`t agree with it then, since it`s no problem for corporatoins to go bankrupt and screw everybody involved, but we won`t let the individual have the same opportunity. Little did I know it would affect me in the future. I`m hoping if I agree to pay them, thay will agree not to report negatively to the credit bureaus, so I won`t have something more recent as a negative on my report.

Comment

You can ask to have the loan payments put on hold due to hardship, usually around 6 months. Interest will still accrue during that time.
              I may be smarter than an attorney, but I'm not one. No legal advice here, people.
              Filed Ch. 7 pro se on 10/22/10 341 on 11/19/10 Report of No Distribution Filed on 11/19/10 Discharged 1/19/11 Closed 2/2/11

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X