Have Not Heard from Law Firm Since Discharge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have Not Heard from Law Firm Since Discharge

It's been one month since my discharge. The only thing I received from the law firm after the discharge was a copy of the discharge notice. I had already gotten that notice directly from the court itself. I thought I was supposed to get some sort of 'final' "we're done" letter from them.

I believe they do a final review to determine if you used their services above and beyond what you paid for upfront for the BK (in my case a Chapter 7), and I am just worried that any day I will get another bill in the mail, for, say another hour or two of attorney time at $375 per hour.

I have reviewed all of my correspondence with them, and do not think I asked anything that was outside of the bounds of our agreement for services, though I did ask their opinion on a few matters. I just don't trust them not to come up with some other charges.

Should I have recv'd a final 'closure' letter from them? As I said, it's been a month.

My agreement states that they represent me up to 60 days after filing, but after that they have no obligation to me.

Have others recv'd 'final' letters from law firms? Thanks to all.

No..Nothing officially even when the case gets closed they didn't mail that notice only the discharge notice.
    My attorney did have a website on some hints on waht to do after BK. Hope this helps.

Comment

I received an email from my attorney when my case was discharged and another one when the case closed. My mother, who used another attorney, never heard from hers after the discharge. I'm sure it varies from attorney to attorney. But I don't think most firms send a "final" letter out.

Comment

closure

Hi ApresMoi, When I was in business, it was good business to send out "Thank you for your business, please recommend us to your friends" letters. But that was in the "good ol days" ...not sure how it works with email, facebook, twitter, and whatever the next incarnation of social networking will be. I would think that any extra charges would have to be spelled out in your agreement, but if you are worried, the office manager should be able to provide you with a finalized statement.

Congrats on the discharge!

Tom in Colo
        Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

Having worked for law firms for more than 35 years, I can tell you it varies from firm to firm. Most firms send out a "basic" letter stating that the file is now closed. Also, my attorney has information about cleaning up your credit report. I agree with you Tom, business operated a lot differently now. Most firms are going paperless, so a lot is handled via email now. Even the Federal Courts are totally paperless (well except the Judges still require paper copies delivered to their Courtroom).
          Filed Chapter 7: 7/3/09
          341 Hearing: 8/6/09 - Went Smoothly!
          Discharged: 11/30/2009
          Closed: 12/16/2009

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X