top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

School taxes due - issues paying them now and if I Chp 7 by years end?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

School taxes due - issues paying them now and if I Chp 7 by years end?

I'm still considering a CH7 oif things don't improve. Till then, my School taxes are due. My wife pays half and I pay the other half, (which is $1,800). So I'll just transfer over $1800 to her checking account because she is writing out the check.

If I do a BK by years end, will this come back to haunt me?

I'm assuming your wife is not going to be included in the bankruptcy. If that is the case, this will get the trustee's attention and he may go after your wife.

Property taxes generally attach to the property anyway.
    C7 Filed: 2009-11-06 | 341: 2009-12-14: | DISCHARGED: 2010-02-09
    Condo: Walked away due to 2nd mortgage intransigence; 1st foreclosed. Now totally DEBT FREE!!

Comment

I've never heard of "school taxes". Is this real estate tax? If so, above post is right and will be sold as what we in FL call tax certificates where someone bids on paying the taxes with as much as 18% interest to purchase them back. If you don't purchase three years, your house could be sold for taxes. Are you intending to keep the house? If so, you must pay the tax. You are married and not knowing your state, the house is probably in both of your names directly or indirectly. Paying taxes is exempt and considered a non luxury. You won't have a problem with your Trustee. If you intend to forfeit your house in foreclosure, don't wast the money. 'Hub
      If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Hub, Mello Roos tax. School taxes attached to property taxes. Not sure if it's a CA only thing, but we got them here.
        Stopped paying: 08/10, Filed CH7: 08/27/10 , 341 & No Asset Report: 10/6/10, Last day to object: 12/06/10, Discharged: 12/07/10, Closed: 12/08/10
        AHEM.....NOT AN ATTORNEY, NOT ADVICE, ETC, ETC

Comment

Ok, thanks so far and I'll clear up a few things: We live in the great high taxed state of NY, Our property taxes on a $230K home run about $7500 year. THe county & municiplaity part of those is due in January and the other portion, School taxes is due in October which is about $4500. Yes; NY state has high taxes. We chose to pay the taxes on our own rather than have them paid out through the mortgage. My wife is not included in any BK that I might do, he credit is perfect and has a well paying job that helps make up for my lack of income. Currently my income is way too low to meet the demand of the outstanding credit payments.

So yes I would be transferring over $1800 to my wife to put towards the tax bill, which is due in about 10 days. I was wondering if I should instead write out a check to the town (school tax) along with my wifes portion!
          Also; YEs the house is both of our names, but she has paid the mortgage (essentially) and we could re-do the mortgage in just her name due to the fact she could qualify without me. We will be keeping hte house and not including it and it's all current too!
          Last edited by professorkev; 09-20-2010, 04:31 AM.

Comment

What a bummer!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X