refusal to pay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

refusal to pay

I had made a promise to a creditor to pay a past due balance at a future date. I just called to rescind that payment. They said that i cold push that date out until 10/6 or be listed as "refusal to pay" and sent to collections.
    I am not sure if I will have all my ducks in a row to declare Ch. 7 by then.
    I don't want them to raid my checking account for any cash (needed for living) and go into overdraft.
    Is this all moot?
    Should I just formally "refuse to pay" and go into collections?
    Is promising to pay from a checking account the same a writing a rubber check--ie criminal?
    dTimo

You never refuse to pay, you state your inability to comply with previously made commitments due to unrelenting negative economic conditions, which may or may not change in the near future, at which time you will be certain to arrange for a mutually agreeable and satisfactory situation. Of course ,they are welcome to call you in the upcoming weeks to see if the negative macro-economic pressures are continuing to exert unrelenting pressures upon your economy, thus continuing a pessimistic outlook.

I find that using big words, even if not exactly properly used, makes them go away faster and agree to call you later.
    Stopped paying: 08/10, Filed CH7: 08/27/10 , 341 & No Asset Report: 10/6/10, Last day to object: 12/06/10, Discharged: 12/07/10, Closed: 12/08/10
    AHEM.....NOT AN ATTORNEY, NOT ADVICE, ETC, ETC

Comment

Just a warning that if you already gave them your checking acct info over the phone they may still try and take the payment. It happened to me after I called them to change the payment date.

You might want to call your bank and place a stop payment or if they do take the payment fight it with your bank as unauthorized.

Good Luck!
      "I DECLARE BANKRUPTCY!" Ch 7 Filed 7/15/11 * 3 Minute 341 8/19/11 * Discharged 10/20/11

Comment

Or if you could, just close the account and open a new one asap.
        Filed chapter 7 Jul 13, 2010 341 hearing Aug 12, 2010 Trustee's report of no distribution Aug 20, 2010 Discharged Oct 13, 2010 Closed Oct 28, 2010.

Comment

A few follw up questions

"You never refuse to pay, you state your inability to comply with previously made commitments . . ."

They said that not setting a date would be considered a refusal to pay, as would calling to rescind the authority to debit the account on that day.

The creditor (card company) and bank are the same company.

Can I direct the bank not to allow the account go into overdraft and then empty the account?

If on the agreed date, there are no funds to be withdrawn, can they take funds deposited after that date?

If I manage to file before then, can they still take the payment?
          dTimo

Comment

Hi dtimo,

Close the acct.....plain and simple.

Call them and set a date about a month/week/day after you plan to file BK, worked for me.....

Tom in Colo
            Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X