top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would you have done prior to filing if you had to do it again?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would you have done prior to filing if you had to do it again?

Getting ready to bite the bullet and file BK7 in a few months. I do not know anyone who has personally filed (or admits) filing BK before, which is why I am so thankful to have found this site. From those that have done a BK, anything you would have done prior to filing that caused problems / issues during the proceedings that you could have cleared up before hand? (ie disputed TL's, assets, etc)
    BK7 - Discharged May 2011

I am going to assume you are talking about bankruptcy planning

If I had it to do over again, I would have sold my car to my inlaws instead of just letting them take over the payment. Looking like you have an insider transfer is bankruptcy death.

I would not transfer property to anyone,. I would not pay back anyone (although I don't owe any money to anyone except my debts)

I would have planned better. I would have answered lawsuits for judgments to prolong the process. I would have talked to a reputable BK lawyer before I ever was in the position to HAVE to file.
    Filed Chapter 7 October 5, 2010 -341 held Nov. 8, 2010- Report of No Distribution Nov. 12th, 2010- Discharged 1-10-2011 Closed 1-28-2011

Comment

Filed sooner and stopped paying my credit cards sooner. I paid everything right up to the time of filing. DUMB mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by RuthCB View Post
        I paid everything right up to the time of filing. DUMB mistake.
        Not necessarily - you earned yourself a headstart concerning your future credit-score by doing so.
        Filed CH7 9/24/2010, 341 on 10/28/2010, Disch.&Closed: 1/6/2011. FICO EX: 9/2: 672.
        FICO EQ: pre-filing: 573, After BK Public Record: 568, 10/3: 673.
        FICO TU: pre-filing: 589, After BK Public Record: 563, 9/2: 706.

Comment

i would have done it sooner then I did. That is really all I would change.

Comment

I would have done it sooner as well. For over a year struggling to always be on time with my cc payments. It was stressing me out.

Comment

I would have done it sooner, too. I settled one silly debt (for about $500), which at the time I didn't even had plans to file. I wouldn't have settled any debts. I guess it helps a little with my credit report.
              Filed August 20 341 on September 23 Report of No Distribution - September 24 Case Discharged and Closed on November 23!!!

Comment

I would have done it much sooner also. What was I thinking - paying all those bills while I was/am unemployed? Went tnrough all my savings. Not worth it.

Comment

Gawd, this is a bomb to me. We/I were so ignorant in our older age and with the money we had once, we were just beside ourselves.

What I would do then with what I know now, is first, Internet myself as to what this is all about. Our lawyer was terrible in educational ability and we were dumb as anvils.

Then I would have found this place, downloaded the C7 book from Nolo Press and learned Pro Se'. I would have been a d*mn better lawyer than the one I had.

I would know not to sell property that was our family cemetery and had to move remains for reasons not about money, but at the wrong time, then I got to pay IRS taxes I had no idea existed, and the Trustee of all our gain. Still had the expense to move the stones.

OH I would have done so much different, but I did get by. Only because, I was honest, paid the price, and was obviously ill informed.

To those who read and ask. EDUCATE YOURSELF. YOUR LAWYER IS LESS LIKELY TO CARE. 'Hub
                  If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
                    What I would do then with what I know now, is first, Internet myself as to what this is all about. Our lawyer was terrible in educational ability and we were dumb as anvils.

Then I would have found this place, downloaded the C7 book from Nolo Press and learned Pro Se'. I would have been a d*mn better lawyer than the one I had.
                    Well, you weren't dumb, just ignorant. The way we all start out. I'm a pretty smart person and while I am considering hiring a lawyer for my no-asset Chapter 7, I know I can't afford one that is going to give me real, personalized attention. I figure I know more about my case than any lawyer ever could, and that's why I will almost assuredly go pro se.
                    Filed Ch 7 pro se Oct 2010 . Filed student loan AP pro se Feb 2011 . Discharged Feb 2011 . AP trial 1/10/2012 . $28K in student loans dismissed Jan 2012 . ECMC appealed. Appeal hearing 7/2012. Original judgment upheld 9/2012.

Comment

I would have filed sooner, before all the late dings on our previously perfect credit and before the lawsuits.

I would've probably gone pro se too if I had known it was a realistic option. I did 90% of the legwork for the lawyer and I learned the ins and outs of the BK laws for our state anyway. I should've saved us the $1000 and just filed myself.
                      Filed Chapter 7 - 06/30/2010
                      Discharged - 11/18/2010
                      Closed - 12/22/2010

Comment

I would have filed as soon as I received my first cc summons instead of trying to fight it and losing.
                        "I DECLARE BANKRUPTCY!" Ch 7 Filed 7/15/11 * 3 Minute 341 8/19/11 * Discharged 10/20/11

Comment

Like everyone else I just wish I filed a year sooner. Being an optimistic person I always believed it would get better, but it didn't. I wish I would have just filed instead of trying to stay afloat and enduring all of that added stress and worry!

There are moments when I wish I would have saved $1700 and filed pro se. I'm sure I could have been successful going that route, but then again having my attorney to answer questions and deal with the calls from the CC companies, was invaluable. Other than not filing sooner, I wouldn't have done anything different as it has been a smooth process. 28 days and counting until discharge!
                          Filed Chapter 7 on July 30, 2010
                          341 scheduled for August 26, 2010 - Done! - Report of No Distribution
                          Discharged!!! - November 15, 2010

Comment

We would have filed a hell of a lot sooner, kind of the common thread here. But if you're asking for lessons learned, besides the "sooner" constant, make sure you have an alternate checking account not linked to any institution with which you have credit, give yourself time to redirect direct deposits, learn how to use online bill pay and set up OLB payments that you send out, rather than ACHs against your account.
                            Stopped paying: 08/10, Filed CH7: 08/27/10 , 341 & No Asset Report: 10/6/10, Last day to object: 12/06/10, Discharged: 12/07/10, Closed: 12/08/10
                            AHEM.....NOT AN ATTORNEY, NOT ADVICE, ETC, ETC

Comment

I would have filed 2 1/2 years ago when I lost 2/3rds of my salary (from 200K to 65K) instead of robbing from Peter to pay Paul... and socked away cash under the mattress....
                              Filed 7/17/10 1st 341 8/17/10 2nd 341 9/16/10 1st confirmation 10/06/10 2nd confirmation 11/10/10 Bar Date 11/15/10 3rd and final confirmation hearing Dec 8 and acceptance of plan Dec 29 2010....

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X