top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wow -- my expenses vs. income are pitiful!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow -- my expenses vs. income are pitiful!

Apparently, I have been depending on my CC's more than I realized! I have been working this past month to devise a budget for myself, and I have been trying not to use my CC's (except for my feline emergency). I am discovering why my cc bills were adding up.

From what I can figure, using my job income ($3200), basement rental income ($650), and loan repayment from ex ($150) a month, I am coming up at least $200 short (and that is with the barest of budgets). Now, I am currently not getting my CS arrearage ($440 a month) -- but even with that, I would just break even. I really had no idea (and I'm embarrassed to admit it).

I 'bounced' a purchase yesterday, for the first time in probably 20 years. Ugh! I'm used to keeping at least $1000 in my bank account, but I just don't have it. I have maybe $60 in my account at the moment. We get paid once a month -- 2 more days! The furloughs and arrearage lack means ~$750 less a month (maybe more, depending on my actual salary this year).

This month I should see at least a small increase in salary (the first month of the new school year re: salaries). I don't know how much it will be, if any, because of the 10 furlough days we have this year. I also adjusted my withholdings (increased my deductions from 3 to 6) -- but last month this did not impact my income at all, which was confusing? Hopefully, it will have cause an increase this time (I had a $3000 return last year).

I would like to negotiate a lower house payment, but I did the HAMP worksheet online, and it would only save me $35 a month. My bank (U.S. Bank) says they will only look at working with me if I go through the HAMP process with them, but I don't know if it is worth it?

I hate my bank account being empty! It is disconcerting to say the least. I'm just not seeing any opportunity to have even a small cushion anytime soon.

So, my financial situation is worse than I thought. To be fair, the additional $4000 in medical expenses and $550 car repair THIS month -- $800 of which was cash) really hurt me. The additional CC minimum payments are hurting, too -- now my minimums are around $600 a month. Just the minimums!

Ugh ugh ugh.

Thanks for listening. I'm just shocked and discouraged, I guess. Ultimately, I know it is a blessing to be forced to look at my finances as they really are -- at least I have to acknowledge I have a problem.

Amazing feeling when you discover you've been floating your expenses by paying cc's then using them right back up again. Plenty of us have felt that. One good thing about those who take this bk process seriously is that we are indeed forced to look at our budgets and lifestyle and make appropriate changes. You're right in that it is a blessing to realize this. And know that you have decisions to make and options to choose from.
    Stopped paying: 08/10, Filed CH7: 08/27/10 , 341 & No Asset Report: 10/6/10, Last day to object: 12/06/10, Discharged: 12/07/10, Closed: 12/08/10
    AHEM.....NOT AN ATTORNEY, NOT ADVICE, ETC, ETC

Comment

Stating the obvious here, but if you're going to file bk, then you may as well stop paying those credit cards immediately.
      Filed Chapter 13 on 2-28-10. 341 completed 4/14/10. Confirmed 5/14/10. Lien strip granted 2/2/11
      0% payback to unsecured creditors, 56 payments down, 4 to go....

Comment

It is an eye-opener, for sure.

Oh, I should clarify (not that it matters) -- the $3200 is my net, not gross.

Comment

Well, I have been thinking I would only file if the house that was just foreclosed on came with a deficiency judgement (it has not sold yet, so I don't know if the bank will follow-through as they have said). Now I wonder if I should file regardless...

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X