Get a 2nd job -- good idea or bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get a 2nd job -- good idea or bad?

In realizing that I am in worse shape financially than I realized, especially after spending $4000 on emergency expenses this past month, I am considering a second job. There is an opening for a PRN position in my field at a local facility. Assuming I could get the job, is this a good idea? Because of some medical concerns, I am not sure if I would be able to do a second job, but I'm willing to give it a try. I'm doing pretty well right now -- but the second job would definitely not be looking to keep a second job long term.

Would the income from the second job go against me in the bankruptcy? Will the trustee say that if I can work a second job, I should be expected to continue the job and I don't need to file? I would anticipate making between $160-$240 a week (8 hours a week at $20-30 dollars an hour), probably 16 hours a month. Even with this extra, I don't think I would pass the means test (I didn't when I was getting CS arrearage, which was around the same amount).

It's possible that the extra money plus the arrearage (assuming the ex finds a new job) could put me close to failing the means test, but if he started paying again, I might take less hours or stop the second job altogether).

I guess I am worried about not having any financial cushion (and all my 'big' cards are now maxed out completely -- I have some store cards that have zero balances).

Any thoughts?

and we meet again! You must be getting sick of me by now.....

Would the income from the second job go against me in the bankruptcy?
    Short answer: Yes it goes into your 6 month avg used in the means test. But does it put you over the GA median income? If not, not a problem

Even with this extra, I don't think I would pass the means test
    Do you have this backward? If you pass the means test, you get a Ch7 BK, if you fail you get a Ch13 or no filing.

Will the trustee say that if I can work a second job, I should be expected to continue the job and I don't need to file?
    Short answer: NO (keep asking these easy questions!)

And you should be able to exempt the CS money, I don't think this will be a problem...

Watch out using the store cards, no credit if you are going to file!

Tom in Colo
    Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

The right time for that second job is likely after you file and after your 341 meeting, to build a financial cushion. Unless you really see a path to not filing at all. And that path has to be a long term path... not just putting it off for 6 months.

I believe there is case law that you cannot be forced to work 2 jobs. BUT it will count on your means test... and if you can't exempt the earnings, you're just working for the creditors.

Every case is different though, and these are just general thoughts.
      12/2009 Stopped paying CCs; 3/10 1st suit;
      8/2010 finally served; No Asset 7 filed. 11 mos since last bal xfer
      9/22/10 60 day club; 9/24/10 report of no distr; 11/23/10 DISCHARGED

Comment

no worries about that!

[QUOTE=tcreegan;454606]and we meet again! You must be getting sick of me by now.....

Actually, you are really helpful and very kind -- I appreciate your help!

Would the income from the second job go against me in the bankruptcy?
        Short answer: Yes it goes into your 6 month avg used in the means test. But does it put you over the GA median income? If not, not a problem

I will have to run the numbers and see...

Even with this extra, I don't think I would pass the means test
        Do you have this backward? If you pass the means test, you get a Ch7 BK, if you fail you get a Ch13 or no filing.

Yeah, I said it wrong -- I meant pass as in have a positive number after the means test (which would cause me to fail). Ouch, that makes my head hurt. "Who's on first?" LOL

Watch out using the store cards, no credit if you are going to file!

No, I'm not going to! No more cards for me -- except for prepaid and debit!

Thanks, Tom!

Comment

Rocks and hard places

[QUOTE=keptdigging;454632]The right time for that second job is likely after you file and after your 341 meeting, to build a financial cushion. Unless you really see a path to not filing at all. And that path has to be a long term path... not just putting it off for 6 months.

Having done my budget, my worry is that even just paying the minimum on my cards means I will barely have enough cash to cover all my expenses, even bare bones stuff -- and no way to save up even a little for emergencies (like car trouble). And without using my cards anymore, and without some cash backup, how will I deal with those emergencies? The second job would help me in that way. Ugh.

Thanks for the thoughts!

Comment

Save the 2nd job until after your 341 unless its an "under-the-table" paying job. Just my .02.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X