Tickets to a football game & filing time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tickets to a football game & filing time

I have New Orleans Saints season tickets, jointly titled with my wife. I'll be filing an individual Chapter 7 at the end of the month, and while I'm aware that the tickets are assets that will have to be listed, I do have a question:

I plan on attending a game on October 31st with a friend. It is sort of imperative that I file before the last business day of the month -- this is when our checking account will be "bone dry"; if I wait until November, my wife will have just gotten her pay check, and I will have to wait till the end of November to file.

Obviously, once you file, all of your assets become the property of the estate, so I can't use the tickets after filing. But, the tickets are essentially "perishable," if you don't use them, you lose them and a ticket to a game that has already been played is worthless to the trustee.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to handle the tickets for the October 31st game? I can't back out on my friend -- he has already incurred substantial costs for travel arrangements and he will likely be paying for some travel costs to get to the stadium.
    Bazinga!

Originally posted by mrbrown2195 View Post
    I have New Orleans Saints season tickets, jointly titled with my wife. I'll be filing an individual Chapter 7 at the end of the month, and while I'm aware that the tickets are assets that will have to be listed, I do have a question:

I plan on attending a game on October 31st with a friend. It is sort of imperative that I file before the last business day of the month -- this is when our checking account will be "bone dry"; if I wait until November, my wife will have just gotten her pay check, and I will have to wait till the end of November to file.

Obviously, once you file, all of your assets become the property of the estate, so I can't use the tickets after filing. But, the tickets are essentially "perishable," if you don't use them, you lose them and a ticket to a game that has already been played is worthless to the trustee.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to handle the tickets for the October 31st game? I can't back out on my friend -- he has already incurred substantial costs for travel arrangements and he will likely be paying for some travel costs to get to the stadium.
    Figure out what the individual cost of the tickets are, and then exempt that amount. I believe you are over-analyzing this and it won't even be an issue. The trustee can't use them, and he/she surely can't sell tickets that are for games pre-341 meeting.
    Filed Chapter 13 02/2006 - Confirmed 05/2006 - Discharged 09/2011
    I'm not an attorney. My replies are merely suggestions or observations, not legal advice. As always, consult with an attorney before making any decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by newbie2 View Post
      Figure out what the individual cost of the tickets are, and then exempt that amount. I believe you are over-analyzing this and it won't even be an issue. The trustee can't use them, and he/she surely can't sell tickets that are for games pre-341 meeting.
      I'd exempt them if an exemption was available -- I'm having to use Louisiana exemptions.

You're right about the over-analyzing! hahahaha
      Bazinga!

Comment

My 2 cents: Go to the game and have a great time :-)

Doubtful that a trustee would want you to pay twice for the tickets!
        Filed Chapter 13 02/2006 - Confirmed 05/2006 - Discharged 09/2011
        I'm not an attorney. My replies are merely suggestions or observations, not legal advice. As always, consult with an attorney before making any decisions.

Comment

What's the worst-case scenario if you use the tickets and the trustee objects? Don't you just have to pay back the cash value?
          This post does not constitute legal advice. If you use my advice in place of a lawyer, God help you.

Comment

Why would he have to pay back the cash value....if he didn't use them they would become worthless. I also doubt that, unless the future value of the rest of the season tickets is over 500 or so that he would have to try and exempt them.

My friend, go to the game and enjoy.
            Stopped paying: 08/10, Filed CH7: 08/27/10 , 341 & No Asset Report: 10/6/10, Last day to object: 12/06/10, Discharged: 12/07/10, Closed: 12/08/10
            AHEM.....NOT AN ATTORNEY, NOT ADVICE, ETC, ETC

Comment

He shouldn't have to pay cash value, I was just asking if that's the worst that can happen if, for some reason, the trustee tried to raise a stink about it. Just more of a theoretical question I guess.
              This post does not constitute legal advice. If you use my advice in place of a lawyer, God help you.

Comment

Hi mrbrown,

Saints home game on Halloween? Wouldn't miss it if I were you.....

Hope they tighten up the rush defense....

Tom in Colo
                Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

My wife and I have 2 Chargers season tickets. We listed them on our petition and that was after we had paid for the upcoming season (this was in June 2008). We exempted them and the trustee didn't bat an eye. California has a pretty liberal exemption amount so it was pretty easy. Go to the game and have a good time. When you actually file you'll sleep a lot better.
                  Filed Ch 7 - 6/30/08
                  341 Meeting - 7/31/08
                  Discharged - 9/30/08
                  Closed (finally) - 2/10/09

Comment

The tickets that will expire pre 341 are not a sellable asset. In fact selling the tickets would create a cash asset, so its better to use the tickets.
                    You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

I had a Vikings season ticket last year when I filed; my original planned filing date was the day after the game against the Packers. Since I was able to use federal wild-card exemptions to exempt the dickets, no issues.
                      C7 Filed: 2009-11-06 | 341: 2009-12-14: | DISCHARGED: 2010-02-09
                      Condo: Walked away due to 2nd mortgage intransigence; 1st foreclosed. Now totally DEBT FREE!!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X