top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What about tithes? Will the trustee say no?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about tithes? Will the trustee say no?

If our income is 6700/mo (net), and we pay 10% tithes on our net, so we pay 670/month in tithes to our church, will the trustee allow that amount for charitable contributions on the means test? (And, yes, we could show cancelled checks for that amount for the six months prior to the bankruptcy.)
    --------------------------------------------
    As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness. ~Henry David Thoreau

I'm not sure 6 months would be long enough to allow it, they might just think it was good bk planning on your part. We had to show it on our previous years taxes and provide the statements from the church for ours to be allowed. It was one of the first questions my attorney asked when he saw our schedule J was "you have proof of this that goes back a couple of years, right?" It may vary by trustee though....
    Filed Chapter 13 on 2-28-10. 341 completed 4/14/10. Confirmed 5/14/10. Lien strip granted 2/2/11
    0% payback to unsecured creditors, 56 payments down, 4 to go....

Comment

Your budget on the other post only lists $100 for monthly charity. I would stick with the figure that can be supported by your tax return. Since you're over the median, and will probably be even more over by the time March and the new median figures roll around, I think you can expect your budget claims to be scrutinized.
      There are two secrets for success in life:
      1.) Never tell everything you know.

Comment

Hmm...I was thinking that if we let the house go, we could get back to paying 10% like we used to. We've only been paying 100.00 for the last year or so. Before that, we paid as much as 1000/mo, depending on the month.
        As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness. ~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

We also stopped all charitable contribution in 2009 & 2010 except for two kids that we've sponsored since 2005 with receipts and tax returns to prove it . The thing is the trustee has seen it all and knows every trick in the book and with your income, he/she will have more motive to object.
          There are two secrets for success in life:
          1.) Never tell everything you know.

Comment

Tithing expense deductions are a huge red flag for the US trustee for over the median filers. You will have to have a long history of documented tithing at the level you are claiming including but not limited to, income tax returns, canceled checks, receipts from the church, etc.
            You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

My attorney said that much like the IRS, the Trustee won't bock at it as long as you can provide documentation and a track record up to 10%. If you started giving $500 or $1000 a month starting 3 months ago, I would think that would raise red flags.

Comment

Originally posted by UpaCreekinCA View Post
                My attorney said that much like the IRS, the Trustee won't bock at it as long as you can provide documentation and a track record up to 10%. If you started giving $500 or $1000 a month starting 3 months ago, I would think that would raise red flags.
                There has to be a documented long term history of tithing in order to take the expense. Several years has usually been the standard.
                You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

Hi all,

backtoschool has the gold standard: last two years tax returns

Just a thought here, if you are going to go back to your 10% post-BK, couldn't that be used on Sched J?

Tom in Colo

ps: the ceiling is now 15% for overly generous individuals...
                  Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

Congress specifically amended the bk code with a special provision to protect charitable giving / tithing in 2006. It doesn't matter what you've done in the past. For instance, if you "come to Jesus" the day before you file bk, and as part of your new-found faith you tithe, you can count that as an expense as long as you intend, in good faith, to continue doing so. Now, will the trustee examine you with an electron microscope should you decide to start tithing right before bk? Yes. But you are entitled to do it.
                    Pay no attention to anything I post. I graduated last in my class from a fly-by-night law school that no longer exists; I never studied or went to class; and I only post on internet forums when I'm too drunk to crawl away from the computer.

Comment

lol @ "come to Jesus"
                      Any "suggestions" I offer are not to be deemed as legal advice, as I am not an attorney. "Suggestions" are offered solely based on my life experiences, education, and what I have observed in the work that I do.

Comment

Hi MSbklawyer,

That is the way I read the BK code! No history mentioned, just that the Church has to be IRS qualified as a charitable organization.

But I have read cases and posts here where the trustee wanted the history of giving, even asked for documents from the Church.

Case of 'do as I do not as I say' ?

Tom in Colo
                        Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

It is kind of a catch 22. We haven't been 10% tithers 100% of the time because we had too much debt. If the debt were discharged, or we were in a 13 plan and on a budget, we would definitely be strict 10% tithers.
                          10/26/10 - FILED CHAPTER 7 12/15/10 - 341 COMPLETED 2/17/11 - DISCHARGED & CLOSED

Comment

YEP! That's us. I just pulled up my Quicken account and ran a report on our tithing. I can PROVE 100/mo for the last year. I'll just go with what I can prove...

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X