Tuition-not a student loan/ question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tuition-not a student loan/ question

My daughter was to go away to college this year, and decided to stay home, work and do community college. We called the college and told them and they said she had to go online and drop the classes she signed up for, but they would notate it in the file.

She went online to drop the classes on the final day to drop, which was 10 days into the semester starting I think, around August 28th, and could not get on her account. We called the next morning and they gave her a new password and log in name, she then dropped the classes. We never heard anything from them until this week, they sent me an email stating they dont have my correct address, (that one I cant figure out, because we had gotten everything else from them in the past, and the bill that came back to her had the correct address) and the tuition bill they sent got returned. I explained to the woman the circumstances of her dropping the classes one day late, and she said since it was late, we have to write a letter to the tuition board and explain.

I am hoping that will take care of the $9,000, but if not, can I put that in my BK? Not sure if it is the child or the parent that is responsible. No loans were taken, and she never even set foot on campus.

Normally anything involving school can not be discharged. I would double check with an attorney though.

I would first take the matter up with the tuition board first, and see if they can waive the fee since she did not attend. Normally they can reverse the charge since she did not go at all. If she attended one or two days and dropped after the drop date then she still may be held responsible for 25% of the tuition charge. I had to drop a class this semester, but I did it within the drop time. In the past I do remember dropping a class one semester after the drop date. I had to actually pay for the class since it was past the drop date.

Good luck. I hope you can get the fee waived.
    Chapter 7 filed on 4/23/2010
    341 meeting on 5/28/2010
    Discharged on 8/19/2010

Comment

Hi mrskal,

Take the path of least resistance; write the letter to the tuition board.

In the BK you have to explain it is a charge and not a loan, why it is OK so close to the filing date, basically more hassle...

Be persistent, get the school to play fair,

Tom in Colo
      Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X