is this fraud?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is this fraud?

OK just a general question....my brother is looking to file bankruptcy. His income is above the limit to file a chapter 7 in ohio (being single, that is). Out of NOWHERE he decides that he is getting married...long story short he is planning on getting married THEN filing chapter 7 bankruptcy. I guess his income is below the limit for a married couple to file bk 7. Isn't this fraud? I mean, I charged some stuff on my card 90 days ago and that can be looked at as fraud. But, come on now...if he gets away with this then that isn't fair. Not that I don't want him to get married, just the fact that he is CLEARLY taking advantage of the system to wipe out debt. How low of him, really. But anyways....any thoughts on this? He even flat out told us that he needs to file bankruptcy. Oh, and she needs health insurance. What great reasons to wed, huh? lol.

I don't see any fraud here. You can get married for whatever reason you please.

Comment

Getting married is not fraud. I agree with keepmine. People can get married for any reason they want to.
      You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

Hello mgs0987,

The problem is proving intent, next to impossible for a creditor to do.....as long as the marriage certificate holds up they are OK

...the bigger question is does she know?

Tom in Colo
        Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

I agree that people can get married for whatever reason they please, I just was wondering about whether or not a trustee would be like 'oh, you just got married and a week later you're filing bankruptcy....hmmmm..' only reason I ask is it seems fishy to get married and file because your income was too high to file as a single person. Not saying they are getting married to file, just in general. Although, they are getting married to go bankrupt together. does anyone see what i'm saying here? Basically, how are you gonna get away with being single and over the income limit to being married and just under the limit to file bk 7 without raising a red flag? I mean, I guess it doesn't matter I was just curious if that would be an issue or not.

Comment

Originally posted by mgs0987 View Post
            I agree that people can get married for whatever reason they please, I just was wondering about whether or not a trustee would be like 'oh, you just got married and a week later you're filing bankruptcy....hmmmm..' only reason I ask is it seems fishy to get married and file because your income was too high to file as a single person. Not saying they are getting married to file, just in general. Although, they are getting married to go bankrupt together. does anyone see what i'm saying here? Basically, how are you gonna get away with being single and over the income limit to being married and just under the limit to file bk 7 without raising a red flag? I mean, I guess it doesn't matter I was just curious if that would be an issue or not.
            A trustee isn't going to ask, nor care. Sometimes filing for bankruptcy is all about timing. The timing (after marriage) is right for your brother. The trustee won't judge them, perhaps you will cut them a bit of slack also :-)
            Filed Chapter 13 02/2006 - Confirmed 05/2006 - Discharged 09/2011
            I'm not an attorney. My replies are merely suggestions or observations, not legal advice. As always, consult with an attorney before making any decisions.

Comment

newbie2 is right on. Timing is everything. If I were him, I'd work EVERYTHING I CAN to my advantage. Heck, I'd marry her & divorce her the day after my case closes - unless she makes a mean sammich.
              Stopped paying CCs 1/10 | Stopped paying mortgages 2/10 | Interviewed attorneys 3/10-5/10 | Retained attorney 5/14/10 | Delivered paperwork to attorney 6/17/10 | Filed Ch7 7/9/10 | 341 8/16/10 | Objection Deadline 10/15/10 | DISCHARGED 10/20/10

Comment

Originally posted by AlmostAmos View Post
                newbie2 is right on. Timing is everything. If I were him, I'd work EVERYTHING I CAN to my advantage. Heck, I'd marry her & divorce her the day after my case closes - unless she makes a mean sammich.

LOL. Wall Street fat cats are at it again talking about million dollar bonuses, so why can't we do what we can to take our fair share.
                Filed August 20 341 on September 23 Report of No Distribution - September 24 Case Discharged and Closed on November 23!!!

Comment

He needs to remember that her income is going to count against him, though, even if he files individually.
                  This post does not constitute legal advice. If you use my advice in place of a lawyer, God help you.

Comment

There really isn't an income "limit" for filing BK, unless your brother is a bazillionnaire. If his income is over the median for his jurisdiction and family size, his case may be scrutinized more closely, but he can still file. The means test is more important. If he genuinely comes up negative on the means test, and his income is over median for 1 person but under median for a family size of 2, he may get it approved without too much trouble.
                    DH laid off 3/08 | Last mortgage payment 12/09 | Filed Ch13 5/10 | Converted to Ch7 7/10 | 341 held 8/10 | AP filed by secured creditor 10/10 | Ch7 discharged & closed 11/10 | Foreclosure 10/2011

Comment

mgs0987

I think your brother is playing the system here. I'm not in the position to determine if it's fraud or not, it's the laws to decide. Allow me to side step a little bit. Yes, people get married for whatever reasons they please. While it's probably not a fraud to get married for many purposes (money, status, advancement, for instance), it probably is in immigration. Many people, particularly outside of the country, get married just to get a green card or a legal status here in the states and that's a problem under the view of USCIS. To them, it might be fraud.

Back to your brother, I think his wife-to-be's income is probably low to keep both of them below the median. He's smart planning for his bk and it's up to the trustee and creditors viewing and proving his intent as fraud, as Tom in Colo points out. BK and marriage each has its own consequences. The laws are not perfect. The system is not perfect. People still find the flaws and ways to get around it. Anyway, for him, aren't you happy and supportive (not in terms of fraud) ? He's your brother. Blood is thicker than water.
                      Filed chapter 7 Jul 13, 2010 341 hearing Aug 12, 2010 Trustee's report of no distribution Aug 20, 2010 Discharged Oct 13, 2010 Closed Oct 28, 2010.

Comment

Bankruptcy planning at its finest
                        Any "suggestions" I offer are not to be deemed as legal advice, as I am not an attorney. "Suggestions" are offered solely based on my life experiences, education, and what I have observed in the work that I do.

Comment

Of course, in a few years, the brother might discover that a Chapter 13 would have been cheaper than alimony payments.
                          This post does not constitute legal advice. If you use my advice in place of a lawyer, God help you.

Comment

mgs0987, how long as he known this woman? If he just met her a few days ago, I'd say yes, it's fraud. If they've been dating awhile and talking about marriage, not fraud.

Comment

This is one of the classic most funniest (peculiar?) threads I have read. LOL.

First, her SS card will not be correct unless she can get one sooner than your 341, so the marriage certificate will have to be filed. And by the way FILED!! One thing holding our discharge up was we use different sir names (legal) so our SS cards were not of the same name nor our taxes. We had to Court file our certificate.

Also while laughing my way through this thread, yes, bk is no reason to marry as marriage and bk usually go in opposite order. Also the first cause for a divorce is marriage. LOL.

Now I hope this is just a wise timing situation as if it is a constructive fraud, the bk may survive, but the husband might not.

Hope it all goes well for them. Perhaps the reception could be held in the 341 chamber? 'Hub
                              If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X