Taxes: priority vs. non-priority Schedule E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taxes: priority vs. non-priority Schedule E

I owe some taxes, but as of the 25th of this month they will qualify for discharge following the 3yr/2yr/240day rule. Obviously, I will be waiting until then to file. I do not owe any taxes that will not qualify for discharge after the 25th.

So, do I even list my taxes at all on Schedule E since none will be priority when I file? There are separate columns for priority and non-priority, but since I would put -0- in the priority column I question whether I should even fill this form out at all except to check that I have no creditors holding unsecured priority claims.
    Filed Ch 7 pro se Oct 2010 . Filed student loan AP pro se Feb 2011 . Discharged Feb 2011 . AP trial 1/10/2012 . $28K in student loans dismissed Jan 2012 . ECMC appealed. Appeal hearing 7/2012. Original judgment upheld 9/2012.

If the taxes do not qualify as priority taxes, then you would put them on Schedule F. The important thing is that the IRS is notified.

A word of warning, make sure that you know when the taxes were assessed as well. Many a debtor has been tripped up by the dates in discharging taxes.

Comment

Dischargeable taxes go on Schedule F.

As was pointed out, just make sure you know how the rules works. However, assuming you filed your tax returns on time, the latest year eligible for discharge is 2006. Taxes more recent than that will be non-dischargeable.

Comment

Also, be careful of amended returns. Just because you were initially on time in filing your taxes doesn't mean you're still outside the time periods when you amend your return later, or the IRS makes an adjustment.

Comment

Thanks, folks. Yes, these are 2006 taxes.
          Filed Ch 7 pro se Oct 2010 . Filed student loan AP pro se Feb 2011 . Discharged Feb 2011 . AP trial 1/10/2012 . $28K in student loans dismissed Jan 2012 . ECMC appealed. Appeal hearing 7/2012. Original judgment upheld 9/2012.

Comment

Hi wipetheslate,

I think you would list the taxes as a priority unsecured....even if dischargeable, until actually discharged wouldn't they remain priority unscecured?

Of coure I always take the CYA approach....

Tom in Colo
            Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

Originally posted by tcreegan View Post
              Hi wipetheslate,

I think you would list the taxes as a priority unsecured....even if dischargeable, until actually discharged wouldn't they remain priority unscecured?

Of coure I always take the CYA approach....

Tom in Colo

Nope, they are schedule F, non-priority, unsecured.

Keep in mind, if you read the code, all "priority taxes are non-dischargeable." So, if you think your taxes are dischargeable, you list them on Schedule F.

Comment

Thanks HHM, it makes sense when you put it that way!

Tom in Colo
                Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X