Chapter 7 Question on Schedule C - Property Claimed as Exempt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chapter 7 Question on Schedule C - Property Claimed as Exempt

I am hoping someone can help answer a question I have on my filing.

On Schedule C I have two columns
    (the 2nd column on every line item listed is double of what column 1 is, why?)

Value of Claimed Exemption Current Value of Property W/O Deducting Exemption

Living Room Furniture

1,5000 3,000

As you can see in the example above my living room furniture is 1500 in column 1 and 3000 in column 2, why??? Does this mean only half of my living room is exempt?

Dang I just noticed this and I filed last Thursday.
    Chapter 7 filed 11/4/10 ---- 341 Meeting 12/1/10 ---- Discharge 1/31/2011.

I just checked our Schedule C, and the first column is the value of the item WITH claiming the exemption. The second column is the value of the item W/O the exemption being claimed. I can't imagine why the values would be doubled. You need to ask your lawyer, if you have one, what this is all about. You may need to amend your schedules. I also think that your valuation on the furniture is a little too high. You need to think in terms of 'yard sale' prices.

Good luck.
    "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

As always check with a lawyer. My first guess is that the second column is for married debtors filing jointly (most if not all states - as well as federal, will double exemptions for joint filers).

As far as filing this already, you don't even have to pay to amend this schedule if I recall correctly (in my state). Shouldn't be a big deal if you have to make a few changes.
      DISCLAIMER: THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE. I AM NOT YOUR LAWYER. I AM TWELVE YEARS OLD AND YOU CANNOT REASONABLY RELY ON ANYTHING POSTED ON AN INTERWEB FORUM. THINK ABOUT IT.

Comment

I spoke to my attorney today and he explained that because we jointly filed, in the example I gave above with my living room furniture being $1500 in column 1 (this is each spouse's amount so $1500 *2 = the the total exempted amount of $3000). So I have my full exemption, but glad I asked him

Comment

Cat: I thought my lawyer priced my stuff too high as well but he stated that our trustee is a stickler and he needed to go that high. Even with that amount all of my stuff is still safe with my federal exemptions. thank you thou

Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post
          I just checked our Schedule C, and the first column is the value of the item WITH claiming the exemption. The second column is the value of the item W/O the exemption being claimed. I can't imagine why the values would be doubled. You need to ask your lawyer, if you have one, what this is all about. You may need to amend your schedules. I also think that your valuation on the furniture is a little too high. You need to think in terms of 'yard sale' prices.

Good luck.

Comment

so far, so good Fallonedward !!

Tom in Colo
            Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X