Residency and Exemptions - Quick Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Residency and Exemptions - Quick Questions

I moved to Florida almost 6 months ago (June 1). Prior to that, I lived in Georgia for 3 years.

When I file Ch. 7 in December, what exemptions will I be able to use? GA? FL? Federal??

Thanks for the help!

hmmmm??? well you're a FL resident if you have lived here for more than 6 months.... (see below)... so I would assume use FL and not GA....your laywer should be able to advise the best

Florida Statutes, Chapter 372
    NATURAL RESOURCES; CONSERVATION, RECLAMATION, AND USE
    372.57 Licenses and permits; exemptions; fees

(15) "Resident" means:

(a) Any person who has continually resided in this state for 6 months; or

(b) Any member of the United States Armed Forces who is stationed in this state.
    Filed 7/17/10 1st 341 8/17/10 2nd 341 9/16/10 1st confirmation 10/06/10 2nd confirmation 11/10/10 Bar Date 11/15/10 3rd and final confirmation hearing Dec 8 and acceptance of plan Dec 29 2010....

Comment

In general, if you haven't live someplace for 2 yrs you have to use the old one...search the forum I'm sure there is a more thorough answer someplace

if GA allows a choice of Fed or state then I think you an choose which one is best

Comment

For most practical BK purposes, determining your filing state has to do with what exemptions you will be entitled to use. I found a web site that provided a somewhat easy to understand explanation of how to figure this out and it was posted here:

If you need more help with this, you will find a lot more information in the Exemptions sub-forum of this great place!
        Stopped paying: 08/10, Filed CH7: 08/27/10 , 341 & No Asset Report: 10/6/10, Last day to object: 12/06/10, Discharged: 12/07/10, Closed: 12/08/10
        AHEM.....NOT AN ATTORNEY, NOT ADVICE, ETC, ETC

Comment

Originally posted by MikeB View Post
          I moved to Florida almost 6 months ago (June 1). Prior to that, I lived in Georgia for 3 years.

When I file Ch. 7 in December, what exemptions will I be able to use? GA? FL? Federal??

Thanks for the help!
          You will not be able to use Florida exemptions. You must be a resident of Florida for 2 years before you can use Florida exemptions. We just filed last month and have only lived in Florida for just over a year, so we were required to use our previous state's exemptions. Fortunately, that state was Texas. Gotta love those Texas-sized exemptions...
          Filed Ch. 7: 10-28-2010 Report of No Distribution: 12-16-2010 Disharged and Closed 2-18-1011

Comment

Hi Mike,

Normally, if you haven't lived in a state for 2 years, you use the state where you lived for the 6 months before the last two years. In your case that would be GA.

BUT...if I am not mistaken, GA requires you to be resident in GA to use their BK exemptions.

So you can't use Fla exemptions b/c you haven't been there 2 years. You can't use GA exemptions b/c you moved out of state.

You use federal exemptions.

Need to check up on the 'must be GA resident' rule. Anyone?

Tom in Colo
            Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

Good catch Tom...I found a link that explains it the way you said-looks like federal exemption for former GA residents who haven't met the 2 year rule

http://www.nationalbankruptcyforum.c...in-bankruptcy/

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X