X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VA(vetadmen) benefits and dk

Does VA disability benefits count on the means test

Hi bigtime,

Congress in their infinite wisdom specifically mentioned soc. sec. benefits but not VA benefits. I have seen courts rule that b/c VA benefits are not mentioned, they have to be included in means-test income; but unfortunately I have not seen the arguement that VA benefits are essentially the same as soc sec benefits, just issued from a different agency.

Now it is clear that all your $$ in the bank from VA benefits is exempt from the BK

Title 38 Chapter 53 ยง 5301(a)(1)
    Payments of benefits due or to become due under any law administered by the Secretary shall not be assignable except to the extent specifically authorized by law, and such payments made to, or on account of, a beneficiary shall be exempt from taxation, shall be exempt from the claim of creditors, and shall not be liable to attachment, levy, or seizure by or under any legal or equitable process whatever, either before or after receipt by the beneficiary.

I would look for an attorney who knows how your local court/trustee handles VA benefits.

Tom in Colo
    Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X