top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

planning to file this week - can they take my 2010 refund?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

planning to file this week - can they take my 2010 refund?

I'm planning to file this week if possible.

I am HOPING to get a 2010 income tax refund. Can they take that?

If you can't exempt it, yes, the trustee can take it.
    Filed Ch 7 pro se Oct 2010 . Filed student loan AP pro se Feb 2011 . Discharged Feb 2011 . AP trial 1/10/2012 . $28K in student loans dismissed Jan 2012 . ECMC appealed. Appeal hearing 7/2012. Original judgment upheld 9/2012.

Comment

Hi wendyfou,

A quick glance at the Ark exemptions and I didn't see any way to exempt a tax refund. The trustee will be allowed 11/12 of the refund....but that doesnt necessarily mean they will go after it; seems that some trustees are fanatical about taking tax refunds but some aren't. It also depends on size, they might not want to bother with small amounts.

It is highly variable by trustee.....like the old saying goes....hope for the best but be ready for the worst....

Tom in Colo
      Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

what about if i OWE for state and expect a REFUND for federal? last year i paid my state income taxes WITH part of my federal refund? will they offset a portion of my federal refund to reflect the state taxes i may owe? seems only fair...

Comment

Hi again wendyfou,

seems only fair... ...remember this is BK law we are talking about....only slightly more arcane than IRS code....

To be a legal offset, I think the state tax people have to talk to the federal tax people and some papers change hands.

I'm afraid you might be at the mercy of your trustee. But you can always ask, who knows, the trustee might be in a good mood that day.....

You could start a thread asking for people who have experience w/ the trustees in Little Rock.....ours wasn't interested at all in our tax refund, we had a ~2K the year before but he never said a word about this year. On the other hand, someone posted that the trustee stood up and announced to all that she was taking everyones tax refund.

Hopefully Little Rock trustees are more like our trustee...

Tom in Colo

ps: State Capitol in LR is very nice!
          Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

I'm so grateful I was able to exempt mine.

Originally posted by wipetheslate View Post
            If you can't exempt it, yes, the trustee can take it.
            Chapter 7 filed 11/4/10 ---- 341 Meeting 12/1/10 ---- Discharge 1/31/2011.

Comment

Originally posted by Fallonedward View Post
              I'm so grateful I was able to exempt mine.
              Me too!
              Filed Ch. 7 on 9/30/10---341 11/12/10---Report of No Distribution 11/16/10

Discharged 1/21/11 Closed 1/26/11

Comment

Hi wendy....welcome to the forums!

In my state, there is a 'wild card' exemption that covers any cash or physical asset, up to 6K in value. In my case, my lawyer advised me not to mark the refund on the paperwork yet, as my trustees/state doesn't usually start coming after them until february. But in my case, my full wild card exemption is still open, so if they do try to cop it, my lawyer said we can simply amend my paperwork to exempt it at that time, no big deal, just a small fee.

In his experience, it's best to run under the rader about it until they ask...but like TC said, it's a highly variable thing from state to state, trustee to trustee, etc. How much are you looking to get back? In looking around the forums, in a lot of cases, if it's less than a grand, they may just leave you alone about it.
                Ch7 no asset Filed 11/23 341 12/21 discharged: 2/22/11 I am soooo totally not a lawyer, but i wish i had married one! Does that count for anything?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X