top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Filed CH7 -- Should I register for Pacer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filed CH7 -- Should I register for Pacer?

Hi,

We just filed CH7 & we have an attorney. Should I register for Pacer? My atty's office said it's not necessary. I tried to search to see if this question has been asked. I remember reading some posts of people incurring substantial user fees which I really can't afford. I just want to know any updates on our case. I don't know how quickly my atty's office will relay any info to us. In a previous post, someone had mentioned tips on using Pacer without incurring too much. Does anyone remember which post? Or share your experience? Thanks so much!

Jennifer R.

Hi jnfrross,

Besides the insanely curious, PACER is a good way to monitor your case....what was filed by who and when. Some people have seen something on PACER that alerted them to something their attorney was doing, or not doing. You can check out the 'stickie' on PACER. As long as you aren't pulling up tons of paper, it is not too bad, only 8 cents per page.
    I use the case locator, click on our case, hit 'docket report', and pull up anything filed there. Never charged me a dime....

...and unless you charge over $10 in a quarter (3 months) they dont charge you anything.

Responsible use of PACER is well worth it, folks who become addicted and start checking twice a day, ....we might have to do an intervention

Tom in Colo
    Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

I registered right after we filed a few weeks ago. But, I make absolutely sure I do not check it more than once a week, and always early in the week and in the morning, just in case something looks bad I will not have to wait over the weekend to talk with our lawyer. I am obsessive so I had to put these limits on myself or I would be in there twenty times a day. I actually have it marked on my calendar for the day and time I am going to go look, so far this has kept me in control of myself.
      Hired Attorney 8/28/10 Filed Chapter 7 11/08/10 341 12/14/2010 Report of NO DISTRIBUTION 12/15/2010 Waiting for February 14 2011, date objections due.
      DISCHARGED and CLOSED 2/15/2011

Comment

We filed Chapter 7 and didn't register Pacer. I would advise you to document every time you talk to your attorney and what they tell you. That way you have some reference to go by. Remember, you are paying them to represent you but that doesn't mean you can't question what they are doing. There are time limits for filing, credit counseling, etc.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X