Do I have to attend the 341 meeting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I have to attend the 341 meeting?

I have my 341 next week and I am under an extreme amount of stress. My meeting is in 7 days and I am having panic and anxiety attacks. I am afraid that if I have to go to this hearing I will have to take some Xanax. I can probably get a notice from my doctor saying that due to health issues I cannot attend. Would that be possible?
    Pre filling credit score: Trans 554, Expe 555, Equi 511
    5 days after discharge Trans 598, Expe 569, Equi 598
    4 mo after discharge Trans 691, Expe 678, Equi 703

You must attend.

Comment

This is the most important part of your Bankruptcy process. Yes you have to attend.

Comment

You can not legally skip the 341, there s no provision for that. If you fail to attend, and a postponement was not requested AND approved, your case will get dismissed.
        Stopped paying: 08/10, Filed CH7: 08/27/10 , 341 & No Asset Report: 10/6/10, Last day to object: 12/06/10, Discharged: 12/07/10, Closed: 12/08/10
        AHEM.....NOT AN ATTORNEY, NOT ADVICE, ETC, ETC

Comment

Hi jo - like everyone says, you do need to be there. Have you read over the "341" posts on this forum? They might ease your anxiety a bit...the 341 seems to be very easy for the majority of people. (I know I will be shaking in my boots, too...but will be SO relieved when its over)
          Filed Ch 7 Pro Se 11-18-2010 341 Meeting 12-16-2010 Discharged 2-15-2011
          New Job 7-2011

Comment

Hi jo,

The best cure is to go and watch a few, find out where your trustee holds 341 meetings and go sit in on a couple. Another benefit is you will know how to get there, driving time, parking, and you won't make my mistake and go to the wrong building....not good.

I'm sorry this is so hard for you, but hang in there and 'preview' some meetings,

Tom in Colo
            Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

I agree with Tom, go and sit in on a couple of 341 hearing's.

Comment

Hi Jo,
                I am sorry you're feeling such anxiety about this. I hope maybe I can help you. I, too, am starting to feel the anxiety/stress/nervousness that you are because my 341 is in 7 days too (on the 13th). The first thing you need to do is ask yourself "what is the worst thing that can happen?" You haven't done anything wrong, just remember that. As a couple other posters stated above, it might be a REALLY good idea for you to go and see some of the 341's this week to give you an idea about what it will be like. What you (we) are really experiencing is the fear of the unknown.

Next, give yourself something positive to look forward to once your 341 is over. For instance, (and I KNOW this is going to sound dumb but. . .whatever LOL), I have promised myself a margarita at my favorite Mexican restaurant when it's over (I never get them anymore since my husband is laid off). We have set aside a little money to reward ourselves with that once we get past that meeting. Make a promise to yourself with something fun or something you enjoy once it's over, and anytime you feel the anxiety coming on, focus on the reward. I hope that doesn't sound silly, but it helps.

Last but not least, we can do this together if you like. We can be 341 buddies. Know that you are not going through this alone - I am going to be right there with you on the same day and we are going to pull through just fine. Then we can be 60 day buddies together. Hang in there my friend. Just remember, it's a quick little formality meeting that we have to go through, but once we do, it's over. MUCH better then going to the dentist - less painful and much quicker.
                Filed Ch. 7 11/8/10: Survived 341 Meeting 12/13/10 Report of No Distribution!! 12/14/10Received UST Presumption of Abuse!! 12/15/10 UST states Dismissal is Inappropriate! DISHARGED!! 2/22/11

Comment

Hi jo,

Lots of good advice here. I was so nervous before our 341, but in the end, it wasn't so bad. The drive was a bit far for us to go and try to sit in on any other meetings, but I just kept reading the positive posts on this forum. The trustee was very professional, just asked the required questions, asked us for a few bits of paper (tax returns, bank statements and the like) and had us sign his directive explaining our responsibility to him. That was it. Just remember to breathe and you'll be fine. It will be over before you know it, and you'll be able to relax again. Also remember that you are definitely not alone. We'll all be here sending our positive vibes your way and looking forward to an update when it's all over.
                  Filed pro se, made it through the 341, discharged, Closed!!!

Comment

I second what everyone else said. Number one, just go watch a couple meetings 1 day this week. As everyone noted, there is a 99.7% chance that you will be out of there so fast, as long as you relax, answer basic questions, maybe 1-2 side questions, usually also for general answers, that's it. It likely took you longer to write this post than it will take you to have this done . Saying it like that will make this painless.

Second, like other's said, you are soooooo not alone. It sounds like we are all in the same boat as far as timing for this, so know that there are thousands of people a week going through what you are (or worse, depending on how things are for you otherwise). Check out some of my posts sometime...i have anxiety problems like you do too. Me, cigs, xanax, and not eating have all been real close friends lately. And that being said, the 341 doesn't make me nervous.

Like cleve said, pretend we (the people on this forum) are all sitting there with you, walking into the room, listening to the questions, and leaving. Cause in essence, we are...just slightly different times and spread out over the country. When it's over, go out and have a glass of wine with a friend if you can. Or go home and take a nice hot bath and read a good book with a cold beer. Something that will allow you to calmly reflect that you are 60 days from having a whole new life
                    Ch7 no asset Filed 11/23 341 12/21 discharged: 2/22/11 I am soooo totally not a lawyer, but i wish i had married one! Does that count for anything?

Comment

hi, i have a question about attending or rescheduling 341 meeting? my meeting schedule on the day i am going out of town for my sister weeding. My attorney's office charges $250 to reschedule the hearing!! i think it's unfair- what if you have emergeny or get sick or have a work trip? any imput re:charges? does trustee charge to reschedule? thank you

Comment

Originally posted by freeseattle View Post
                        hi, i have a question about attending or rescheduling 341 meeting? my meeting schedule on the day i am going out of town for my sister weeding. My attorney's office charges $250 to reschedule the hearing!! i think it's unfair- what if you have emergeny or get sick or have a work trip? any imput re:charges? does trustee charge to reschedule? thank you
                        Sounds like it would be cheaper and far less trouble to reschedule your flight.
                        Stopped paying 8/2010, Filed 2/2011, 341 3/2011 done, Report of no distribution . . . Discharged & Closed 5/2011!

Comment

Jo,

This may sound like pop psychology, but can you verbalize what makes you so scared? Think a creditor / ex spouse will show? Paperwork has holes? Don't trust atty? What are some of your fears? It helps to expose them.
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          8/10 - began researching bk, 9/10 - stopped paying ccs, 10/10 - paid atty fees, 11/10 - filed c7 - over median income , 12/22 - 341, 12/23/ - no distribution

Comment

Thank you all for all your replies. I know it is nothing but since I have panic attacks and anxiety it is harder to keep it under control sometimes.

clevelandmom thank you. You are right it is the fear of the unknown even though based on what everyone says the outcome is pretty known.

I went to see a doctor yesterday and he prescribed some ambien so I can sleep at night and lorazepam for my anxiety for the next 7 days.

If the court wasn't so far I would definitely go see a hearing.

Thank you all again for the support, I feel much better already.
                            Pre filling credit score: Trans 554, Expe 555, Equi 511
                            5 days after discharge Trans 598, Expe 569, Equi 598
                            4 mo after discharge Trans 691, Expe 678, Equi 703

Comment

Hi Jo!
                              I'm glad you're feeling a little better. Try not to let it worry you. There's nothing that worrying will do to change what is happening to both of us. And it will be over before we know it. I am going to look forward to clinking glasses with you (via this forum) a week from tonight. In the meantime, try to focus on other things, like family, the holidays, looking forward to next year being a much better year for both of us, etc. I personally plan on using expletives to say goodbye to 2010 when the clock strikes midnight on New Years Eve! LOL
                              Filed Ch. 7 11/8/10: Survived 341 Meeting 12/13/10 Report of No Distribution!! 12/14/10Received UST Presumption of Abuse!! 12/15/10 UST states Dismissal is Inappropriate! DISHARGED!! 2/22/11

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X