Filing Chapter 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filing Chapter 7

First I would like to say hello to everyone on the forum. I am a member of a few car forums so I decided to look for one concerning bankruptcy and what do you know...there is one! I have gotten a lot of good info from other forums and I suspect this forum is no different.

My situation: My mom filed for Chapter 13 (without me knowing anything about it or that she was in financial trouble) a little over a year ago and made her payments in the Ch. 13 up until September when she lost her job. Since then she has not been able to find another job and has received notification that her Chapter 13 will be dismissed on December 15th.

A few things I know...or think I know: Her income has to be below a certain level in the last 6 months in order for her to file Chapter 7. From July to December she has made right at $20K (thanks to July having three pay periods). That disqualifies her from filing Ch. 7 in January since she can make no more than $18K (Louisiana median income). When February rolls around she no longer has to include the month of July and that will subtract about $6K from her 6 month income and bring her to $14K (this would qualify her for Ch. 7)

Things I was told: She does not have to include her home in the Chapter 7 since payments are up to date and it was not included in Ch. 13. She has to wait 90 days (I have read 180 days) to file Chapter 7 after her Ch. 13 is dismissed. From what I have found on the Internet...she should be able to immediately file for Chapter 7 unless:

1.Her previous bankruptcy was dismissed after a creditor sought relief from automatic stay.
    2.She did not obey court order.
    3.Her previous filing was considered fraudulent.

The only reason it was dismissed was her inability to pay due to her losing her job.

Some of my assumptions: It would be in her benefit not to find a job until she files Chapter 7 and has the creditors meeting (no benefit to me since I will be paying for her home).

My questions: How soon can she file for Chapter 7 after the 13 is dismissed. What happens if she gets a job before the creditors meeting once Chapter 7 is filed? And how long before they come get her vehicle once her Chapter 13 is dismissed? (Yes...I will be financing her a new (to her) vehicle)

Sorry my first post was so long but I wanted to put everything out there for your information. Thanks in advance for your help!

I can not answer all your questions, but the home MUST be included in the chapter 7 filing. ALL debts MUST be included, we do not get the option to pick and choose. That does not however mean she will lose her home.

Also, she can be over the median income and still file for Chapter 7 IF she has the expenses to leave her with a low disposable income. I know this, because I was about 20K over and still able to file ch 7. I suggest discussion with a attorney to get the best answers. Most will do a free consultation and answer many of your questions.
    8-07-09-filed Chapter 7
    11-18-09-DISCHARGED!!

Life is not what challenges you face, but how you face those challenges.

Comment

Hi MostWanted,

Like NoMoreCards said, your Mom is only ~210 a month over median income. She fills out the expenses deduction part of the means-test and off to Ch 7 land....

Go to http://www.uscourts.gov/FormsAndFees...ptcyForms.aspx and print out form B-22a That is the means-test, the "qualifying exam" for Ch 7

Not sure if it is too late, but Ch 13 cases can be converted to Ch 7 ...my (somewhat limited) understanding of Ch13 dismiss, Ch7 file is exactly what you posted.

And to echo NMC, all debts go into a Ch 7, everything including the kitchen sink.... (all assets too)

Glad to see you helping your Mom out, keep posting and folks here will try to help you help her!

Tom in Colo
      Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

I wanted to give everyone an update. My mom's lawyer (who she paid nearly $2500.00 to file Ch. 13) said she would have to wait 90 days to file Chapter 7 after her Chapter 13 was dismissed and that he would cut me a "deal" of $1250.00 to do so. So...two days prior to her Chapter 13 being dismissed...I made an appointment with a new lawyer for her and I to speak to. Long story short...for $625.00...he converted her Ch. 13 to a Ch. 7 in those two days and she had her 341 meeting this past Tuesday. That means that in the same time the other lawyer told her she would have to wait to file for Ch. 7...her bankruptcy will be discharged. I could go on and on about how I feel about her previous lawyer...but I would just get worked up all over again. Have a great New Year.

Comment

That's great news! I'm glad you sought out another attorney to get her (and you) through this. Great start for the new year
          Filed pro se, made it through the 341, discharged, Closed!!!

Comment

Happy New Year to you !! Thanks for giving us the update!

Tom in Colo
            Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X