3 Attorneys 1 Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 Attorneys 1 Day

Wow... met with three different attorneys today about possibly doing a chapter 7 bankruptcy. I don't recommend it! Talking with multiple attorneys has been invaluable (thank you forum for the advice to see several before moving forward) but to do it all in the same day... what a great way to assure a jello-brain by day's end! I didn't intentionally schedule the three meetings on the same day. That's just how it worked out with their schedules.

It was so interesting to see the different styles and experience levels of different attorneys. One was very experienced but I felt like I was just one of the herd, getting a pre-rehearsed spiel and checklist of topics (I mean it, he literally went down a page-long checklist and marked it as he moved through topics) that didn't really apply to my situation. I think he might have been a drill sergeant in a past life.

Another was fresh out of law school and although she was very attentive to my situation, she kept going back to "I'll have to check on that," which isn't the most comforting thing to hear. But at least she's willing to do the work to learn what needs to be learned. I think. I hope. Her rates are really low but I think it might come with the risk of being a guinea pig with the learning curve.

And then there was the happy middleground. Found an attorney that had a fair amount of experience, was very positive (happily working in a cramped temporary office while their regular office was having the floors redone), casual, and very aware of how the law would apply in my situation. They come complete with a well-caffeinated, enthusiastic, ex-hippy paralegal... gotta love that!! Plus they do home loan modification representation too! Bonus! I dislike the location but really loved the people.

So it's just amazing to see the differences. Three very intelligent and articulate attorneys. Three very different experiences.

Wanted to post the experiences for all the newbies (like me) out there who might run across the thread when thinking about working with an attorney for bankruptcy. It is tempting to go with someone based on maybe location or experience or pricing or convenience. Those aren't bad things to consider - but having a good fit is nice, too. And it's out there. Just don't try to do it all in one day!
    OK - from now on it's not a "Bankruptcy." It's a "Weight Loss Program." I'm in. Sign me up.

wow peeps,,,,that was alot of peeps to see. hahahahaa
    Sounds like it went well cept for the jello brains.
    filed: 8/10 ...341:10/8/10 ... Discharged & Close: 12/9/10
    "Nothing is easy to the unwilling" Thomas Fuller

Comment

Congrats on taking that step, Peeps! What a day for you!!
      Filed pro se, made it through the 341, discharged, Closed!!!

Comment

Thanks for the post Peeps, I agree it is a public service to people following in our footsteps! Can't say it enough, shop around for attorneys first, avoid an unpleasant mess later...

Tom in Colo
        Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X