Ny Chapter 7 Tax Return

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ny Chapter 7 Tax Return

Hey Everyone, i have been reading the boards for sometime since my sife lost her job appx 1 year ago. We had made the decision that bankruptcy was the right move for us as one income was not making it work. I received word that my case was filed on 12/8/10 with the 341 meeting scheduled for 1/10/11. I was wondering if anyone had experience with new york on the status and whether or not my assumed tax return would be in jeopardy next year? thanks for all the information.

I am assuming you hired an attorney since you say you "received word" that your case had been filed. Check your exemptions (Schedule C) to see what is listed. I believe you are allowed $2500 cash exemption ($5000 when filing joint with your spouse) in NY - assuming you were using NY exemptions. If your bank accounts were below that amount, any "leftover" should be exempted as part or all of your refund.

Edited to add: The bankruptcy estate "owns" the refund that would be considered earned up to 12/8/2010. I'm not sure if they use a straight 12/12 calculation, or a 365/365 to determine the percentage due the bankruptcy estate. Could be they could take 11/12 of your refund or 342/365 depending.
    Filed pro se, made it through the 341, discharged, Closed!!!

Comment

If it was not exempted, then yes, it is in jeopardy of being taken, especially with it being so late in the year.
      I may be smarter than an attorney, but I'm not one. No legal advice here, people.
      Filed Ch. 7 pro se on 10/22/10 341 on 11/19/10 Report of No Distribution Filed on 11/19/10 Discharged 1/19/11 Closed 2/2/11

Comment

Hi toe2toe, and welcome!

One thing you can do is find out where your trustee holds 341 meetings and go watch a few. You can see what the trustee is interested/not interested in

Hopefully you won't get the trustee someone posted about who announced to the whole room that she was getting everyones tax refunds.....

Tom in Colo
        Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

I'm from upstate New York. I had no delays. Everything was posted on time in PACER. Trustee did not ask for my tax refund, but then again I heard that this varies by trustee. My 341 was no longer than a minute. At the time of filing I had $15 in a savings account. I was never questioned about any future income or tax refunds. Also, it helped that I had a lawyer who is well-known, but I did all the talking at my meeting anyway. Honestly, I don't even know what's on my paperwork off the top of my head. I quickly looked them over before I signed and filed, but I had confidence in my attorney.
          Filed August 20 341 on September 23 Report of No Distribution - September 24 Case Discharged and Closed on November 23!!!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X