Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stay and Not pay, Pay Property taxes?

Hey folks,
    While filing for CH7 we have decided to ride thru on our house. Basically we quite paying our mortgage this month and our hoping to stay in our crap hole of a house until June. I have seen that most say we should keep our insurance, But was curious to know if we should bother paying our real-estate property taxes. We are in Mo for anyone who knows anything state specific.

A few people have told me that we shouldn't bother, Who ever buys the house or the mortgage company will pick them up. Others have told us that if the state puts a lien against the house it will show up on our credit further damaging it.
    Chapter 7
    Filed, 12/21/2010
    Discharged, 03/30/2011

I would assume that the taxes would be put on the house. Since you are no longer responsible for the house seems like your good to not pay. Im not a lawyer just a Noob trying to help out =)
    Chapter 7 - Filed 11/28/2010 <> 341 Meeting - Done 12/28/2010 <><> Report of No Distribution 12/28/2010 <><><> 60 Day Club <><><><>Discharged 3/1/2011<>>

Comment

Another vote for not paying. Unless the Show Me state is a recourse state.
      No Asset 7 closed 11/09

Comment

Property taxes are attached to the property, rather than a person. Yes, the bank or new buyer will have to pay the overdue property taxes upon transfer of title, I do believe.
        Filed pro se, made it through the 341, discharged, Closed!!!

Comment

Hi etechj,

The property taxes attach to the property unless you live in some odd part of the country where they hitch them on a star.....

Don't pay a dime if the house is going away. The arguement 'they can file a lien and hurt my credit' is like the elephant steps on you and you are worried b/c there is a kid on top riding the elephant.

You can even drop the insurance coverage down to just your liability and contents.

Good luck with this, hope you can squeeze out many payement free months and use the $$ to fund your post-BK life!

Tom in Colo
          Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

I stopped paying mortgage in June...will the mortgage company send a check for what was put in the escrow account? If so, then i just pay that portion and forget the rest?? Or will they not even bother to send the check? We just got our tax bill yesterday..so curious to know if we'll see a check anytime soon. BTW...we filed and got discharged 2 days ago WOOHOO!! and of course, included the house...

Comment

I'm in the exact situation as you and from my experience, the bank will use what's in escrow towards paying the property taxes. I would say to not expect a check. The next correspondence you'll get from the tax department is a receipt that the taxes were paid. Don't pay the taxes. I still have insurance only because I don't want anyone suing me for money I don't have in case they should get injured on my property.
              Filed August 20 341 on September 23 Report of No Distribution - September 24 Case Discharged and Closed on November 23!!!

Comment

Hi etechjc...i just wanted to note that there is a good chance you could stay there past June, depending on the location and local economy. The country as a whole is averaging over a full year from time of last payment up until ABSOLUTE eviction time.

And to my knowledge, you can't owe taxes on a home you no longer legally own, so don't worry about the credit thing, that sounds like a bad myth/rumor.
                Ch7 no asset Filed 11/23 341 12/21 discharged: 2/22/11 I am soooo totally not a lawyer, but i wish i had married one! Does that count for anything?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X