Got the process started!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got the process started!

Well I sent in the preliminary paperwork to my attorney's office today. I've been holding on to it for way too long, since May actually. I figured enough was enough, so I bit the bullet, made sure everything was current and mailed it in.

The reason I delayed for so long is that I'm still not sure what to do about my car. I'm about $7000 upside-down on it, with another 3.5 years of payments to go. I have a great interest rate and I love the car, but I know that neither of these things are good reasons to hang on to it. Right now my plan is to save up some money during the automatic stay and buy a beater car. Hopefully, the bank doesn't file to lift the stay. If they do, I will figure something else out though.

Also, I have a friend who may be moving in with me in a month or so and I am thinking that I need to get this process started before then, when my rent will go from $1100 to $550 a month.

So that's that for now. Any tips or things I need to look out for in the near future? I know I need to get my counseling done. Will be doing that in the next few days.

A

thats a great step.
    I had my questionaire finished in june when i first met with atty. din't turn it in to them till beginning of aug. Kept telling myself that there had to be another way.
    filed: 8/10 ...341:10/8/10 ... Discharged & Close: 12/9/10
    "Nothing is easy to the unwilling" Thomas Fuller

Comment

Congrats on taking that first step, xraya! I hope everything goes smoothly for you. In terms of your car, were you planning to stop making the payments because they're too high or just concerned the bank might repo because you're not reaffirming?
      There are two secrets for success in life:
      1.) Never tell everything you know.

Comment

the car payments really are too high for me. When I was working 50-60 hours a week and married it was a lot easier to swing. Now I work 24 hours a week, I'm divorced and I live in a state that has a much higher cost of living. Once I pay rent, the car payment and all the necessities, I barely have any money left over for anything extra, much less pay on my cc's.

As of right now, I am 1 payment behind on the car, and I'm not sure I can get it caught up before I file. So that's why I'm wondering if the bank will file to lift the stay or just wait until after the process is over.

Comment

Congrats on beginning the process. Let us know when you are filed and have your 341 date so we can celebrate with you.
          Filed Ch. 7 on 9/30/10---341 11/12/10---Report of No Distribution 11/16/10

Discharged 1/21/11 Closed 1/26/11

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X