So is he my attorney now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So is he my attorney now?

I took my paperwork over to the attorney today and paid my fee in full. They said it would be about a month or so before everything is prepped for me to file. (Busy busy)

So....this means he is "my attorney", right? What exactly does that mean for me as far as collections, etc? I haven't talked to any collections people, ever. I did answer 2 calls (from the same number) tonight, and when I answered they hung up! Go figure on that one.
    Filed 5/31/11 341 & Report of No Distribution 7/28/11 Discharged & Closed!! 9/29/11
    "What I won't accept or buy any longer is that my credit score defines who I am. Screw that."

If you paid the fee in full - yes...you've hired him . When a creditor / collection agent calls - tell them you have filed for BK, provide your lawyers name and number. Sometimes you may get someone who will not accept the info and will want a BK case number (which you wont have until your lawyer files) - tell them again to call your lawyer (again repeat the name and number), then hang up.

No need to get into a long drawn out conversation with them

Comment

Ahhh newPage..
      that is so great.
      Good things come in small packages. Like, was all your paperwork smaller than a car.
      Ah, never mind, that sounded better in my head. LOL
      The best to you.
      filed: 8/10 ...341:10/8/10 ... Discharged & Close: 12/9/10
      "Nothing is easy to the unwilling" Thomas Fuller

Comment

Just so you know you can tell your attorney when you want to file. We told our attorney we would pay the balance of our attorney fee's on the day we filed at his office. In this way I was in control and was able to pick the exact date that worked for me, after paycheck arrived and after all bills were paid. (ie: mortgage, car payments, car insurance, utility's etc.)

Please don't wait till its convenient for you attorney to file but rather do it when its convenient for you.

Originally posted by NewPage View Post
        I took my paperwork over to the attorney today and paid my fee in full. They said it would be about a month or so before everything is prepped for me to file. (Busy busy)

So....this means he is "my attorney", right? What exactly does that mean for me as far as collections, etc? I haven't talked to any collections people, ever. I did answer 2 calls (from the same number) tonight, and when I answered they hung up! Go figure on that one.
        Chapter 7 filed 11/4/10 ---- 341 Meeting 12/1/10 ---- Discharge 1/31/2011.

Comment

I don't like how long your attorney says it will take to file your case, unless you still want to buy more time before filing bk. I'm guessing you have plenty of time, so it doesn't matter. But this is also a little bit of a warning sign as to how well your attorney may be able to get back to you and answer questions when things arise (too busy, backed up, can't answer your questions).

My attorney in the busiest area of SoCal filled out my paperwork the same day I called and filed right when I took my pre-bk course. He is always on top of things and has tons of cases. It's just his office is extremely well organized and efficient.

Comment

Hm. He has always got back to me really quickly by phone or email when I've had questions, even before officially signing the agreement and paying him. He spent quite a lot of time with me on the phone consult last spring and we corresponded a few times by email - his responses to my questions were very informative and thorough.

However, his paralegal has been terrible about returning emails. I don't think she ever has! It seems like *she* might be the slow one? They are waiting on one thing from me (P & L from my husband's business - which is the household income.) I came home and prepared that last night and am going to email it to the paralegal.

I chose him b/c he has been nice and spent a lot of time on me (IMO) for not having been paid at the time. Also the only local option has had some disciplinary action, whereas John has not. The prices were the same. The distance is a little inconvenient but they are willing to do as much as possible via email and fax so that I don't have to travel for every little thing.

Maybe I shoulda interviewed his paralegal!
            Filed 5/31/11 341 & Report of No Distribution 7/28/11 Discharged & Closed!! 9/29/11
            "What I won't accept or buy any longer is that my credit score defines who I am. Screw that."

Comment

Originally posted by oregonpilot View Post
              Ahhh newPage..
              that is so great.
              Good things come in small packages. Like, was all your paperwork smaller than a car.
              Ah, never mind, that sounded better in my head. LOL
              The best to you.
              Thank you!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X