UGH!! Now getting yelled at by creditors who aren't even mine!! :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UGH!! Now getting yelled at by creditors who aren't even mine!! :(

I have never answered a call on my cell phone unless I know who it is. I just am not willing to spend my cell minutes dealing with collections. Anyway, there's been this "unavailable" number calling my cell phone for weeks now. I've always ignored it until today. Feeling cocky since I now had my bankruptcy file number I answered the call. This guy asked for me and then proceeded to tell me he was calling from Household Finance. Well, problem is, I don't have a loan from Household Finance, never have. He says, "Well, does your social security number end in 1973?" NOPE - sure doesn't. Then he got really ugly. Said he had talked to me in July at this number (WRONG! I don't answer this number unless it's a friend or family member calling). Started yelling at me and saying I was lying. Told him "I'm telling you that you have the wrong person. You can't even tell me my correct social security number. I absolutely do not have a loan through Household Finance, and if you continue to call me, I will be sure to let my attorney know." OOOOO, he didn't like that and literally starts screaming at me, so I just hung up. Now, in all honesty, since it's coming from an unavailable number, I have no idea what my attorney could do about it anyway. Just think it's insane that all my creditors that I actually have filed bankruptcy with have all been pretty polite and decent. This jerk -- don't even know where he's from -- and he's obviously not looking for me -- wants to yell at me. What a loon!
    Last edited by ssmdem; 12-19-2010, 12:12 PM.
    04/01/10 - Hit rock bottom and knew we were going to have to file for bankruptcy and surrender our home. 12/14/10 - Filed Chapter 7, 02/09/11 - 341 Hearing, 04/14/11 -

Originally posted by ssmdem View Post
    I have never answered a call on my cell phone unless I know who it is. I just am not willing to spend my cell minutes dealing with collections. Anyway, there's been this "unavailable" number calling my cell phone for weeks now. I've always ignored it until today. Feeling cocky since I now had my bankruptcy file number I answered the call. This guy asked for me and then proceeded to tell me he was calling from Household Finance. Well, problem is, I don't have a loan from Household Finance, never have. He says, "Well, does your social security number end in 1973?" NOPE - sure doesn't. Then he got really ugly. Said he had talked to me in July at this number (WRONG! I don't answer this number unless it's a friend or family member calling). Started yelling at me and saying I was lying. Told him "I'm telling you that you have the wrong person. You can't even tell me my correct social security number. I absolutely do not have a loan through Household Finance, and if you continue to call me, I will be sure to let my attorney." OOOOO, he didn't like that and literally starts screaming at me, so I just hung up. Now, in all honesty, since it's coming from an unavailable number, I have no idea what my attorney could do about it anyway. Just think it's insane that all my creditors that I actually have filed bankruptcy with have all been pretty polite and decent. This jerk -- don't even know where he's from -- and he's obviously not looking for me -- wants to yell at me. What a loon!
    the game I play with them is... play like a scared consumer... tell them you'd like to pay them off cuz you are scared... add in crap about how you may lose your job if they find out... ask him how much he wants to pay account off... he will try to coerce you into giving him your checking account info... tell him you have none but you will send a money order on the next business day as you are up for promotion & dont need this hassle..
    basically you want to get him to give you his company's name & mailing address.... ( they will try to avoid giving you this info as they want an instant form of payment) ... make sure you get the account number he is calling about...

then hang up... send him a FOAD letter via CMRR... note your attorney's name in the letter...

then sit back & pray he calls again.....
    Last edited by 2011; 12-19-2010, 12:40 PM. Reason: spellcheck!!

Comment

HA! Now had no idea what an FOAD letter was -- googled it and then proceed to spew Diet Coke across my computer screen laughing!

In the event they call back again and I go this route, am I in any way acknowledging that the debt is mine though by asking for an address to mail a payment to? It's most definitely not, so don't want to get myself into a jam by acting like it is.
      Last edited by ssmdem; 12-19-2010, 12:32 PM.
      04/01/10 - Hit rock bottom and knew we were going to have to file for bankruptcy and surrender our home. 12/14/10 - Filed Chapter 7, 02/09/11 - 341 Hearing, 04/14/11 -

Comment

yeah, be careful about saying you want to pay. just say you would like to have their name and address, please. and an account number or something. that will give you all the info you need without saying you are going to pay. i don't think they would refuse to give you their address; if they do, ask why they are hiding...
        filed ch7 May 09
        341 june 09
        discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

HA! Now had no idea what an FOAD letter was -- googled it and then proceed to spew Diet Coke across my computer screen laughing!

In the event they call back again and I go this route, am I in any way acknowledging that the debt is mine though by asking for an address to mail a payment to? It's most definitely not, so don't want to get myself into a jam by acting like it is.

you arent saying/doing anything that would make you liable to pay the alleged debt

Comment

Does that stand for F Off and Die??? If so, that is funnier than POUND DIRT. I recommend a similar approach, pretend like you are going to pay and get his contact info, phone, bank, acct #, etc., even his name (perhaps he may get a commission from collections from you). Then report him to your attorney. If he has nothing to do with you whatsoever, you may be able to file a complaint with the FTC under the do not call violation.

I would love to see collectors like this taken down and taken down hard.

Comment

Originally posted by helpme2010 View Post
              Does that stand for F Off and Die??? If so, that is funnier than POUND DIRT. I recommend a similar approach, pretend like you are going to pay and get his contact info, phone, bank, acct #, etc., even his name (perhaps he may get a commission from collections from you). Then report him to your attorney. If he has nothing to do with you whatsoever, you may be able to file a complaint with the FTC under the do not call violation.

I would love to see collectors like this taken down and taken down hard.
              Yep, that would be the translation Google gave me for it. LOL!!

And yeh, it absolutely has nothing to do with me. I've even gone back and looked through my credit reports for the millionth time to make sure there's nothing from Household Finance - and nada! That SSN is not even close to mine either. Would love to be able to report him -- he just caught me off guard today since I was expecting it to be from someone that I actually did owe money to. When he started yelling at me, I just hung up. Next time they call, you can bet I'll be prepared.

Comment

THATS pretty funny....ssm...you do know that c screens and soda don't do well together. hahahahaha
                I had to look it up too.....also KWIM from VY's post.
                filed: 8/10 ...341:10/8/10 ... Discharged & Close: 12/9/10
                "Nothing is easy to the unwilling" Thomas Fuller

Comment

Originally posted by oregonpilot View Post
                  THATS pretty funny....ssm...you do know that c screens and soda don't do well together. hahahahaha
                  I had to look it up too.....also KWIM from VY's post.
                  I knew KWIM -- spend way too much time on the computer. I was expecting FOAD to be some legal type of letter. I was looking it up so I'd know what kind of information to be including. So that made it even more funny when I realized what it actually meant.

Comment

ssm.
                    I'm so glad for you that you got filed. WE joined the forum about the same time and i had been watching to see how things were going for you. Was worried about you when you didn't post for a while.
                    I got a call from citimortgage today. I had no dealings with a mortgage with them but did have 3 citi cards included in bk.
                    They must think that i need a mortgage NOW.
                    ROFL or ROFLCGA (rolling on floor laughing, can't get up)

Comment

HA! Wish getting another mortgage could be that quick! I'm not looking forward to renting for the next three years, but we're blessed that there are TONS of rentals around us, so it won't be the end of the world.

I did kinda sign off the forum for a little bit. Nice to know I was missed. After we retained our attorney, I really didn't have any more questions. I knew what we had to do, just had to play the waiting game until our 6 month average got where it needed to be. We probably could have filed a month sooner, but I honestly just didn't have the money at the time to pay the attorney. I think it's all going to work out in the end -- kinda weird with all the stressing and worrying I did this summer to just be so at ease now. Hoping I'm not fooling myself and there's some major hurdle ahead of me that I'm not seeing. Cannot wait to have that discharged and closed date in my signature line!! Looking like sometime mid April at this point. This is going to be the slowest 4 months of my life EVER!

Comment

It did REALLLLLYYYY drag for me. I had my little countdown timer on the bottom of my screen.
                        First to the 341 and then the 60 days till end of objections . took it off a few times during the 60 days cuz it just waaasssss draggggiiing. Looking back now, i can hardly believe that i'm here.

Comment

He wants to get your CORRECT SSN# for illegal/fraud purposes maybe (hacking, scaming, identity theft, etc..) ..By yelling, he hope you will SPELL out your SSN# on phone for him, etc..??

Comment

Originally posted by BKOnce View Post
                            He wants to get your CORRECT SSN# for illegal/fraud purposes maybe (hacking, scaming, identity theft, etc..) ..By yelling, he hope you will SPELL out your SSN# on phone for him, etc..??
                            He's barking up the wrong tree then. I don't fall for that mess.

Comment

Ok, I hadn't heard of an FOAD letter, so I had to look that one up. I've had my laugh for the day now...

Filed: 6/30/2010
                              341: 7/26/2010
                              Discharged: 10/6/2010

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X