Legal Fees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Legal Fees

I finally decided that filing Chapter 7 is my only option, and I am really really excited about moving on and getting this all behind me.

Right now I am going through the process of meeting with a few lawyers and getting their basic advice, etc. The first guy I met with quoted me $1500 including filing fees and court costs, and it would be more if the creditors fought the bankruptcy(there are some unique circumstances).

Is that about the right amount for a good lawyer? It is going to take me *forever* to save up $1500 on my salary, and I'd like to get moving on this fairly quickly. What is a reasonable amount to expect to pay for legal services?
    Filed: 12/29/11
    341 Meeting: 1/23/12

$1500 is a fairly reasonable amount. Some attorneys I know do payment plans of sort -- they will prepare your documents and file for a set amount (say $750-900) but will expect the rest after filing or representation will terminate.

Additionally, you have to consider what is included in that amount. For example, some attorneys I met with actually charge extra if you have to go through the full fledged means test or if they have to represent you in an adversarial proceeding (obviously).
    Bazinga!

Comment

In Alabama, maybe $1,500 is okay for a "good" attorney, but in most major metropolitan areas, $1,500 is on the low side and the fee agreement probably contains significant restrictions on representation and a menu of "what if" additional charges. The truly quality attorneys don't charge less than $2,000, you are paying for expertise, time and service.

they will prepare your documents and file for a set amount (say $750-900) but will expect the rest after filing or representation will terminate.
      Be VERY VARY LEARY of any attorney that offers this sort of a arrangement. It is borderline unethical. In chapter 7, the attorney must be paid "up front". Otherwise the attorney becomes a creditor in your case creating a conflict of interest. Personally, I would never work with an attorney so desperate for work that they put a client in a possible worse position needing the attorneys help but unable to give it.
      Last edited by HHM; 12-22-2010, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Hi luckstyl,

This is my collected wisdom of the forum on shopping for attorneys:

Communication: phone/email/face-to-face, secretary/paralegal/attorney, turnaround time on responses
        Organizaton/work ethic: dot all i's, cross all t's or 'good enough,' document filed ASAP or 'before the deadline'
        Competence: know the local trustees, judges, filed cases like yours, up-to-date on relevant court rulings
        Retainer/Fee: exactly what is covered, what is extra, what to expect as 'extra'

Good luck finding someone!

Tom in Colo
        Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X