top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New furniture -- any issues with Chapter 7?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New furniture -- any issues with Chapter 7?

Would it be a problem if I use my tax refund to get a new sofa and dinette before filing for bankruptcy?

I moved into a room thinking the drop in rent would allow me to save money and pay my bills, but I greatly miscalculated. I consulted with CCCS and they referred me to legal, meaning I should consult with bankruptcy attoneys, because my payments to my credit cards would be so high and I would barely have anything left over even with me living in a room. I have a small child, so I don't know why I thought renting a room would work anyway. I think it was my delusional, stressed out, and broke thinking.

My Plan B is getting a cheaper apartment for me and my child and consult with a bankruptcy attorney. The new apartment would be cheaper than my old apartment, but more than the room rent. I donated all of my furniture, except my bedroom furniture and the baby's crib, to Goodwill thinking I would live in this room until I got my finances together, and I could not afford a large storage unit. I want to get a sofa and a dinette so me and my child will have somewhere to sit and eat other than the floor. Would my furniture be subject to getting taken? I know that I am below the median income for my state by about 10,000, but I don't know if using my refund for furniture instead of bills would be a problem. Thanks for any advice. Reading this forum has been helpful to me as I try to figure out what I'm doing.

You can spend your tax refund on anything you like. Nothing says it must be used to pay credit card bills.

Comment

One thought to keep in mind, try to stay within the exemptions of your state for personal property. Here's what Maryland lists:

11-504 - Clothing, household goods, furnishings, appliances, books, and pets up to $1,000 total; health aids; cash or property up to $6,000 if claimed within 30 days of attachment or levy; lost future earnings recoveries; and any other real or personal property up to $5,000 total.

Honestly, I think that's about as clear as mud. Maybe one of our more experienced forum members could help discern whether it's the $1k, $5k, or $6k that you're aiming for. I know you're not talking about getting $6k in new furniture, but it's still good to have an idea for where you're currently at with your exemptions and what impact new furniture might have. Best of luck.
      OK - from now on it's not a "Bankruptcy." It's a "Weight Loss Program." I'm in. Sign me up.

Comment

From what I've read here your new furniture should be safe from being taken but just make sure you understand your state exemptions and that the furniture is able to be exempted. from your description of your situation it doesn't sound like you should have a problem but better safe than sorry.

Comment

Thanks you all for your advice. I don't know about the exemptions, so that is something I will ask the attorney. I know I will spend below 1,000, and my current bedroom set is almost 10 years so old, so it can't be worth much, if anything. I have an appointment on Friday. Thanks again.

Comment

Good luck to you and let us know how it goes. I'll say it first - There are many good people here that will give you straight up unbiased advice. Keep your chin up.

Comment

I met with the attorney and she said that I should be fine buying the furniture with my tax refund. She said that she would exempt the furniture and it would be ok. She said that the trustee would not take my furniture. Hopefully, all will go well. I plan to file next month. Thanks again.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X