top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Cable Tv be considered a "entertainment" expense?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can Cable Tv be considered a "entertainment" expense?

We don't got out anymore because it costs too much to entertain 5 people. The last time I took the kids to the movies, we saw Walking Tall with the Rock and that was in 2004. It costs about $60 matinee tickets and the concession stands. This is not including the cost for car fare to ride the train. This is why I have invested in cable for so many years along with the Broadband internet recently. The kids play games on the internet because the video games at $50 a pop is too expensive. I get a good package deal and there's always something good on TV to watch. I know that people lists entertainment costs in their monthly budget - so I am wondering if I can list it under both - misc/entertainment?

sbb
    Hooters MC: $1700
    First Premier Platinum MC: $450
    Orchard Bank MC: $300 Juniper Visa :$600
    Target Card: $200 Capital One:$1500

absolutely yes, or other utilities

Comment

Cable TV service is listed as other utilities on BK filings here.
      Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
      Discharged - 12/2006
      Officially Declared No Asset - 03/2007
      Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Comment

I know but up to what limit? They might consider it a luxury and figure that we can use the cash to pay our bills and not file bk or can be forced into a Ch 13. Those Credit counseling companies that side w/ the CC's may feel that way to but I am not giving up my cable t.v. I've managed to keep it during rough times and besides it's in my SO's name, but I am paying it like everything else because he has NO income whatsoever.

sbb

Originally posted by SinkingFast
        Cable TV service is listed as other utilities on BK filings here.

Comment

I'd say list what you pay.

We have a basic package here. Just get's network TV. 7 or 8 channels total. It's about $15/month. That's a MUST have as we are too far from any major city to get any TV at all. Locals have told me, on a good day, with a tall antenna, you might get a channel or 2 without cable.

Next package up costs $40/month. That gets pretty much everything except the HBO's, Showtime's, etc. Then there's a digital version for $45/month. That comes with a "special box" that gives you the ability to watch pay per view events.

Filings I've seen here post the $40 and $45 packages a lot. I rarely see someone claiming more than that. Only once saw the low level package. If people are getting HBO, Showtime, whatnot, they must be including that portion in Entertainment. It's not showing on their cable expense listing.
          Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
          Discharged - 12/2006
          Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Comment

FYI, I claimed $52 in cable expenses and another $50 in internet access expenses with no comment or complaint by the trustee...

Comment

I listed $80, for cable, and roadrunner (high speed internet) no problems or questions, and my bk was closed today. So I think you will be fine

Comment

Hey where are you from?

Litman:

Where are you from I am wondering because I too get Road Runner are you from the NY area? I get Time Warner Cable in NYC and their rates are sky high.

sbb

Originally posted by thelitman
                I listed $80, for cable, and roadrunner (high speed internet) no problems or questions, and my bk was closed today. So I think you will be fine

Comment

so-beyond-broke:

Here are the expenses we listed when we filed. Most of the categories I came up with from this forum. Best of luck to you.

Expense: Amount:

Mortgage 1 1705
                  Mortgage 2 434
                  Auto Ins. 133
                  Clothing 112
                  Day Care 434
                  Attorney Fee 95
                  Entertainment 100
                  Food 700
                  Gas/Auto Repair 600
                  Heat 160
                  Electric 120
                  Student Loans 280
                  Cable/Internet/
                  Phone 124
                  Cell Phone 37
                  Trash 28
                  Household
                  Maintenance
                  & HBC Items 200
                  School/Day
                  Care Supplies 10
                  Haircuts 30
                  Gifts 75
                  Counseling svcs 30
                  Charity 20
                  Bank Fees 18
                  Magazine Subscription 8
                  Out of Pocket
                  Medical 15

Total: $5,468

Income (net): $5363

Comment

Hey concerned, where do you live? Did you have any problems with a chapter 7?

I make a similar amount as you do, a bit more, $5700/month net or $90k/year gross... but I live in NJ where the median income for a family our size (6 people total) is about $104k. The first attorney we talked to didn't even look at the median income... he just said, "you make too much for a 7, you'll need to do a 60 month chapter 13 at $500-$750 per month payments.
                    Filed Ch. 7 Pro-Se: 10/12/06
                    341: 11/6/06 (went AMAZINGLY well!)
                    Discharge: 1/12/07
                    Closed:1/19/07

Comment

Originally posted by LostOne0069

I make a similar amount as you do, a bit more, $5700/month net or $90k/year gross... but I live in NJ where the median income for a family our size (6 people total) is about $104k. The first attorney we talked to didn't even look at the median income... he just said, "you make too much for a 7, you'll need to do a 60 month chapter 13 at $500-$750 per month payments.

Lost, what does the means test say for your situation? That one document says more then some lawyers.

Comment

Originally posted by LostOne0069

Attnys try to push you to Ch 13 so they can double dip.

The attny will put you in a 13 knowing full well you cannot make the payments. He/she, the attny, gets paid the remainder of their fee outa plan payments, right off the top, before any creditors see a penny.

A couple years later, when you can't hack the 13 any more, you come back wanting to file for Ch 7. You pay another fee for the second BK filing. Double dipping.
                        Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
                        Discharged - 12/2006
                        Closed - 04/2007

Comment

We live in NY, but we filed pre-Oct. 17. We didn't have any problems at all. We just documented that our expenses exceeded our income, which wasn't difficult to do. The old laws allowed for Ch. 7 regardless of income, but now it's entirely different unfortunately. I'm not as familiar with the new laws, but I am pretty sure there is a post somewhere that has a link to a web site for the means test. I would try to do a search for that post. I would think the fact that you have 6 people in your family might make a difference???? Does anyone else know?

Be careful with attorneys. We learned to make sure ours knew we knew the law. The first time we met with our attorney we were clueless, but after learning the law, we realized what our options were. One thing I learned is that it usually means more money for your attorney if you have to go with Ch. 13. Of course, it all depends on how much you owe, but I believe the repayment plan includes payments to your attorney. Our attorney was really pushing the 13, but we insisted he file a 7. Check out the means test, and if you qualify, press him to do the 7. Best of luck to you. Keep us posted.

Comment

My trustee didn't even look at my cable/internet expense of $170/mo, but he DID question $100 for pet maintenance. I explained that was an average based on yearly exams/shots, weekly dog food, leashes, collars, chew bones, medicines,etc...he kinda raised his nose but said "okay". I think it all depends on how they feel that day.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X