top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible Involuntary Default on Student Loan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible Involuntary Default on Student Loan?

Hi Everyone

Hope you can help answer my question. What's the worse that can happen if you default on a student loan or can't pay right away or can only pay less for awhile? Prior to July 2005 there was a big push on consolidating loans to lock in good rates. I had numerous student loans thru Citibank both subsidized and unsubsidized that paid for both undergrad and grad school. Unfortunately right now my Masters is not commanding the $$ I both need and desire that's why I need to file Bk. Needless to say I consolidated thousands of $$ through Nelnet Loan Svcs. They broken down my loans into 2 groups. Group A is about 23,200 and Group B is about 25,574 totalling $48,951. The interest rate is 02.875% and I am suppose to pay it over 300 months. One payment is for 120 and the other is 110 (I am convinced that this orig amt was $50) anyway this is $230 a month. I have deferred 2 times already because I was out of work and the first payment is due in 2 months which I will not be able to pay this entire amount not in my present situation. I calculated $230 a month times 300 months and this comes to $69,000 that's an extra $20,049 tacked onto to this loan - is this possible to be paying all of this interest? I divided this 20k by the 300 months and it seems that I will be paying $67 in interest a month for 300 months. Is this right? Does anyone know how to calculate loans over a period of time in order to know that they are not getting the shaft? $48,951 @ 02.875% for 300 months (25 years)

When I file bk (I would like to do so before this SL is due) will the SL be held up until I receive a discharge? Will I get bills afterward? If the SL is not in repayment yet how would it be listed on the bk petition/paperwork?

Any exp w/ SL's pre/post Bk would be helpful

sbb
    Hooters MC: $1700
    First Premier Platinum MC: $450
    Orchard Bank MC: $300 Juniper Visa :$600
    Target Card: $200 Capital One:$1500

That math is dead on... (For that interest rate, # of payments, etc.) Keep in mind that in the beginning, based on your balance, $117 and change is being charged in interest. In time, as the balance comes down, that will come down. Its like a house payment. As time goes on, more and more of each payment goes to the principal.
    Most of my information is from personal experience or HOURS and HOURS of online research. When you're searching online, keep in mind there is no guarantee that the info is completely up to date, and your situation is unique from anyone else's. Do your homework, and consult with an attorney so you can make an informed decision.

Comment

Have you looked into income sensitive or income contingent repayment? This type of repayment usually allows you to pay a small percentage of your available income each month towards your loan. You definitely do not want to default on your student loan if you can help it. If you ever need to go to school again, you will not be able to get more loans until the default is cleared. I would suggested contacting the lender and seeing what types of repayment options are available to you. We opted to do an income sensitive repayment and it lowered our payment to $89/month. We figured we would only do this until we got our finances back in order.

Bankrate.com has all kinds of loan calculators for you to calculate your loan payment.

Good luck to you!

Comment

SBB, I started to reply to you, but my reply is very long. I sent it to you through the private messages. Hope that's okay.

Comment

Got it!

Skyan:

I replied back to you. i had to delete your quote. I didn't realize how short PM's had to be.

sbb

Originally posted by skyan
          SBB, I started to reply to you, but my reply is very long. I sent it to you through the private messages. Hope that's okay.

Comment

I will have to look into that

I have to look back into my SL paperwork and read whether or not that when I consolidated with Nelnet over the next 25 yrs or 300 payments if that was based on income sensitive or not. They offer 3/4 payment plans. I earned more a year ago and would have been able to swing the payment but not this time. Things happen in life that we are all aware off

sbb

Originally posted by concerned
            Have you looked into income sensitive or income contingent repayment? This type of repayment usually allows you to pay a small percentage of your available income each month towards your loan. You definitely do not want to default on your student loan if you can help it. If you ever need to go to school again, you will not be able to get more loans until the default is cleared. I would suggested contacting the lender and seeing what types of repayment options are available to you. We opted to do an income sensitive repayment and it lowered our payment to $89/month. We figured we would only do this until we got our finances back in order.

Bankrate.com has all kinds of loan calculators for you to calculate your loan payment.

Good luck to you!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X