Picking the right Attorney?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Picking the right Attorney?

Ive seen two different Attorney's and was comfortable with one and not so much with the other! I'm still paranoid about selecting the right one, and would love some tips or advice in selecting the proper one. The first one was a guy on the radio I heard, he was unorganized and unprofessional. The second had a lot of staff handling us from the beginning and was well organized, but the attorney her self was a little out there if you no what I mean.

Originally posted by kleinkp View Post
    Ive seen two different Attorney's and was comfortable with one and not so much with the other! I'm still paranoid about selecting the right one, and would love some tips or advice in selecting the proper one.
    This link will take you to an article entitled, "The Seven Biggest Mistakes People Make When Hiring a Bankruptcy Attorney ... and How to Avoid Them." Hope there's something in it that helps.

There are two secrets for success in life:
    1.) Never tell everything you know.

Comment

Hi kleinkp,

After reading many posts and gripes about BK attorneys, I have complied my little list of the main sources of discontent:

Communication: phone/email/face-to-face, secretary/paralegal/attorney, turnaround time on responses
      Organizaton/work ethic: dot all i's, cross all t's or 'good enough,' document filed ASAP or 'before the deadline'
      Competence: know the local trustees, judges, filed cases like yours, up-to-date on relevant court rulings
      Retainer/Fee: exactly what is covered, what is extra, what to expect as 'extra'

Not sure if this will get you a "perfect" attorney, but hopefully you can find a "good fit"

Tom in Colo
      Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

I picked an attorney that helped my girlfriend years ago and he does a great job. We interviewed a few. The most important thing I look for is how fast they respond to my questions. Also, of course how well they answer your questions. I would interview the attorney, then follow up a couple days later with an email, then perhaps call or follow up with another email asking a few more questions and see how fast the attorneys respond to you.

Asking someone you know who went through BK who their attorney was and how well the attorney did can also be a good way to find a good bk attorney.

Comment

We just filed in October, and our attorney was great about returning messages right away... answered questions quickly and thoroiughly...THEN we hired him. Now I have to send him many messages before he will respond to one, and it always takes several days. I wish I had known others who have filed in my area so I could have asked for recommendations. I am not a pro by any means, but that would be my best advice... ask around for recommendations if you know anyone else who has filed bk.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X