top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reaffirmation not approved- but this is a good thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reaffirmation not approved- but this is a good thing?

Hi everyone, I have not been on here for awhile. I filed on 7/31/10, and had my 341 meeting on 9/2. Since then it has been a waiting game. It was not clear to me that I would not be discharged until I had my "reaffirmation hearing," which was not scheduled until yesterday due to the courts being backed up. Five months after filing!

Frankly, I didn't understand much about reaffirmation at all. I bought a used car a little over a month before filing because my previous car was old, in bad shape, and paid for, and the car payment meant the difference between a 7 or a 13 for me. So, pay $250 towards a car a month for 5 years, or pay a trustee $250 a month for my debts for 5 years (plus a lot of additional attorney fees). So, in all of this I assumed I HAD to do the reaffirmation, and my attorney never said otherwise, nor did she talk about trying to negotiate the terms of the agreement, it was written for the same terms as the original loan.

What became clear to me at the hearing yesterday, as I listened to the multiple cases before me, is that the judge does not want to approve these agreements, and essentially said over and over "Not having a reaffirmation agreement means you have flexibility. If something happens where you can't make the payments, they will just take the car. Under a reaffirmation agreement, they will take the car and sue you for the difference in value of loan to value, plus repo charges, etc." She only seemed to approve those who had less than a year's payments left, or who owed much less than the car was worth. And, being that my loan is so new, and my balance is about 11K and car is worth 10K, my agreement was not approved. What she told me and all others who were not approved was, "Your finance company does not want your car, they want your money. If you make the payments, you keep the car. If you learn differently, write me a little and we'll get you back on the docket."

So I called the finance company today and they said indeed I could just keep making payments. They did add that it will show up as a debt discharged in bankruptcy until the car is paid in full, and only then will it show as positive credit on my report.

So...wondering if anyone is knowledgeable about this? Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Is it correct that this debt not show up as paid as agreed until it is paid in full?

Other than that, I will be officially discharged 1/24/11.

What your finance company said makes sense. I had to file to re-affirm my car in MD. I'm still waiting on the hearing. My lawyer sent me the paperwork, I completed it, and he filed it. He said we'll go to court, he'll argue against re-affirming it, the judge should deny the re-affirmation, the debt will be discharged, and I'll get to continue to pay and keep the car. My lawyer said this satisfies the bank's requirement to re-affirm the loan because I made the effort, but the debt should still be discharged.
    Chapter 7 filed 10/8/10...341 Meeting 12/6/10....Discharged 2/16/2011....Case Closed! 3/1/2011

Comment

Yup, good news sobeit !

Good job BrokeinMD, sounds like you have a good attorney! Nicely explained!

The reporting part is up to the lender. If they want to wait till its all paid off then put a positive notation, thats their call. I would make 6-12 ontime payments and ask again. They can report monthly w/ your permission....the difference between 'can' and 'will' might be a string of ontime payments. And if not, there are plenty of other ways to rebuild your credit in the meantime.

New year, discharged, fresh start, 2011 looking good so far!

Tom in Colo
      Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

I just checked Pacer. My re-affirm for the car is 1/27, so I will be right back here reading this conversation!

Yes, Tom, I like my attorney, however, his boss and the rest of the firm sucks. He, though, is good at responding to his email. He told me quite simply, "You'll make the argument you can pay it, and I will argue you can't. I'll win, end of story." LOL
        Chapter 7 filed 10/8/10...341 Meeting 12/6/10....Discharged 2/16/2011....Case Closed! 3/1/2011

Comment

It is always best that you do not reaffirm. You can keep your cake but leave it too, if circumstances dictate. Reaffirmation just makes the loan non-dis chargeable, just as if you went through an AP. You never know what is over the next hill. 'Hub
          If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

State law here in MD requires the re-affirm on car loans, but see my response above for my attorney's way around it.

Comment

I like the way your attorney thinks!

Comment

My two cents...and this seems to be something that is taking hold in many areas with many judges and attorneys...

The Ch 7 code says that in order to receive the benefit of a reaffirmation, you must apply for one. It seems to say that it isn't necessary that your reaffirmation must be approved... A fine point, and one that I am certainly not qualified to press, argue, or advise. There is a BK judge here in AZ who denies nearly every reaffirmation presented, with the admonishment that in the judge's eyes the condition has been met - an application has been made, even though it was denied.

My grandfather once told me that there is no more powerful person in the US than a BK judge. Woe to the collector who is brought up in front of this judge to explain why they tried to repo.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in one of these cases. Maybe this larger interpretation is becoming more popular.

Comment

In my case, I wanted to reaffirm and the Trustee/Judge would have approved it because the debt amount was very low and equals the value of our beater, but the finance company - a "buy here, pay here"-dealership - simply didn't want me to reaffirm.

I sent them a letter, telling them that I would gladly reaffirm because I would like them to continue the positive credit-reporting - if possible, without IIB-notation. I told them they would have to hurry up if they wanted me to reaffirm because I would be discharged soon. After I filed, they stopped reporting so I told them they could use this letter as official "permission" to resume reporting.

Now I'm discharged, didn't reaffirm, continuing paying the car AND they resumed reporting my monthly payments - WITHOUT IIB-notation. Not too bad.
                  Filed CH7 9/24/2010, 341 on 10/28/2010, Disch.&Closed: 1/6/2011. FICO EX: 9/2: 672.
                  FICO EQ: pre-filing: 573, After BK Public Record: 568, 10/3: 673.
                  FICO TU: pre-filing: 589, After BK Public Record: 563, 9/2: 706.

Comment

I may be not understanding this correctly but say you have a car that is worth 11K and you owe 6K. You did not re-affirm the loan but have continued to make payments for one year. Now you owe 4K. What prevents the car company from coming in and repoing the car even if you are current b/c there is more equity than you owe??

Thanks
                    "I DECLARE BANKRUPTCY!" Ch 7 Filed 7/15/11 * 3 Minute 341 8/19/11 * Discharged 10/20/11

Comment

These are all great stories - but I will tell you Ford is different. If you don't reaffirm, they will come repo your car EVEN IF you are current on your payments. I have heard and read about Ford time and time again, and am currently attempting to redeem a Ford. If we can't redeem, we are going to give it back and get something else. I don't understand their thinking about this, but for whatever reason they do not let people keep their car without a reaffirmation. We have NEVER missed a payment, NEVER been late, and yet we were even told by the finance dept. that they will come take the car if we don't reaffirm. My opinion: stupid. But what can I do?
                      Filed Ch. 7 11/8/10: Survived 341 Meeting 12/13/10 Report of No Distribution!! 12/14/10Received UST Presumption of Abuse!! 12/15/10 UST states Dismissal is Inappropriate! DISHARGED!! 2/22/11

Comment

Originally posted by Freddy03 View Post
                        I may be not understanding this correctly but say you have a car that is worth 11K and you owe 6K. You did not re-affirm the loan but have continued to make payments for one year. Now you owe 4K. What prevents the car company from coming in and repoing the car even if you are current b/c there is more equity than you owe??

Thanks
                        My exact question, also, Freddy. We got our reaffirmation papers in the mail this week. We owe $8k, the car is worth $16k, and it will be paid off in October. We are in Florida and our loan is with Suntrust. We called Suntrust, but didn't get a real clear answer on it and we don't want to risk the car getting repo'd if we don't reaffirm.
                        Filed Ch. 7: 10-28-2010 Report of No Distribution: 12-16-2010 Disharged and Closed 2-18-1011

Comment

Originally posted by Dee View Post
                          My exact question, also, Freddy. We got our reaffirmation papers in the mail this week. We owe $8k, the car is worth $16k, and it will be paid off in October. We are in Florida and our loan is with Suntrust. We called Suntrust, but didn't get a real clear answer on it and we don't want to risk the car getting repo'd if we don't reaffirm.
                          See this is what makes me nervous. Say come Sept you have only one payment left. It's a win win for Suntrust.

I plan on reaffirming my auto loan (granted if it gets approved) but I also questioned this for mortgages. What happens if I stay in my house for 20 years and only have 1 year left to pay?? What prevents WF not to foreclose??

Everyone says they won't foreclose but how do you really know? I'm wondering if there are any laws about this...
                          "I DECLARE BANKRUPTCY!" Ch 7 Filed 7/15/11 * 3 Minute 341 8/19/11 * Discharged 10/20/11

Comment

Originally posted by Freddy03 View Post

Thanks
                            Well, it might make a difference WHY the loan wasn't reaffirmed. I sent them a certified mail, telling them that I was willing and ready to reaffirm - THEY decided that they didn't want to. I doubt they can take away your car when you're current due to a missing reaffirmation THEY weren't willing to sign.

Ford is different. They tell you right away that THEY insist on a reaffirmation.
                            Filed CH7 9/24/2010, 341 on 10/28/2010, Disch.&Closed: 1/6/2011. FICO EX: 9/2: 672.
                            FICO EQ: pre-filing: 573, After BK Public Record: 568, 10/3: 673.
                            FICO TU: pre-filing: 589, After BK Public Record: 563, 9/2: 706.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X