non dischargeable items

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

non dischargeable items

What happens with non dischargeable items? I have a student loan with a $300 balance and about $1K in state income tax that I do not expect to be discharged. Will I get a notice indicationg that they are not dischargeable?

Originally posted by kjg812 View Post
    What happens with non dischargeable items? I have a student loan with a $300 balance and about $1K in state income tax that I do not expect to be discharged. Will I get a notice indicationg that they are not dischargeable?
    I don't think you will. I didn't for IRS. It is assumed and of course is in the bk law what is not dischargeable. Things like child support, alimony, taxes, and fines, as well as all student loans. 'Hub
    If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

I think Hub is correct. It's assumed that you've been advised that those items are not dischargeable.

Comment

You'll get a letter from the bk judge assigned to your case stating that all dets eligible for discharge have been discharged and then will refer you to the section of the bk code dealing with exceptions to discharge.
        Once discharged, go ahead and make payment arrangements for the student loan and taxes.

Comment

Hi kj,

...wanna trade student loan balances? HA!

Nothing from the court mentioned the student loans. US Dept of Ed was really good about deferment as soon as we filed, left us in deferment for a couple months past discharge, then were nice about starting back up again.

...almost makes me cringe to say good things about US Dept of Ed...

Tom in Colo
          Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

Yes, my husband just found out last week that Sallie Mae could not accept any payments from us while the BK-7 was pending. He found this out when he went to make a payment, as we had plans to keep up with these payments, and the SM system wouldn't let him make a payment. When he called, they informed him they wouldn't/couldn't accept a payment until we are discharged. I guess that's something positive. Get to keep a few more $$ in our pockets for the time being.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X