Chapter 7 means test...way off from lawyer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chapter 7 means test...way off from lawyer

I have a question that I am completely confused by. I have gone on line and have completed the means test calculator and it states that I am well within the means to file chapter 7, however, after visiting the attorney today she said I make too much income? Can anyone shed some light on this for me? How could both be so far off if they use similar calculators. She also said I only qualified for chapter 13...

Thank you!!

Originally posted by bullylvr View Post
    I have a question that I am completely confused by. I have gone on line and have completed the means test calculator and it states that I am well within the means to file chapter 7, however, after visiting the attorney today she said I make too much income? Can anyone shed some light on this for me? How could both be so far off if they use similar calculators. She also said I only qualified for chapter 13...

Thank you!!
    can u post your income,household size and monthly expenses?
    Filed chapter 7 on 9/17 341 on 10/20
    Chapter 7 Trustee's Report of No Distribution on 10/21
    Discharged and Case Closed on 12/21/2010

Comment

Washington State median income requirements for family of 1 = $49,124, family of 2 = $62,204, family of 3 = $71,354, and family of 4 = $81,269

You must be below the median income in your state for the family size to qualify for chapter 7 without completing the entire means test. If you are above the income, then your expenses come into play and you must complete the entire means test.
      Filed pro se, made it through the 341, discharged, Closed!!!

Comment

Same here i called a layer today for a chp 7 i gross 38000 per year my wife has been out of work since nov of last year she was making 19000 a year they want her income from july of last year tru dec i told this secretary that by the time we file in a couple of months her incom for the last 6 months would be 700.00 1 halve a monthes pay im sure it takes at least 3 monthes to see attorny pay him for a couple of months and get paper work done i was under the impresion it was 6 months back from filing date not last years income

Comment

It is income for the six months prior to filing. Keep looking for a different lawyer.

Comment

Thanks for the reply it was not the lawyer it was a lady that says she has to qualify me to get an appointment with him this is the second time i went thru this with her i spoke with her 4 monthes back she said to call back 2 monthes after wifes income was gone so thats the call back now this line from her wonder if this attorny has any idea shes loosing him clients thanks for replie

Comment

Hi all,

jam, run away...it sounds bad now, it isn't likely to get better later. Gotta shop around for BK attorneys, after reading many posts of people unhappy with their attorney I compiled a list of the major problems. Schedule some consultations and ask about these:

Communication: phone/email/face-to-face, secretary/paralegal/attorney, turnaround time on responses
              Organizaton/work ethic: dot all i's, cross all t's or 'good enough,' document filed ASAP or 'before the deadline'
              Competence: know the local trustees, judges, filed cases like yours, up-to-date on relevant court rulings
              Retainer/Fee: exactly what is covered, what is extra, what to expect as 'extra'

Keep looking until you find a "good fit" ...some you are comfortable and confident in

bullylvr (and jam)...for the definitive word on the means-test, get a copy of the real thing and fill it out.

Go here and print out form B-22A http://www.uscourts.gov/FormsAndFees...ptcyForms.aspx

Go here for information on filling it out http://www.justice.gov/ust/eo/bapcpa...ne_by_line.pdf

Go here for the info needed to fill it out http://www.justice.gov/ust/eo/bapcpa...anstesting.htm

Post questions if you run into trouble, lots of people here glad to help!

Tom in Colo
              Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X