did i mess up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

did i mess up?

So I'm in the middle of trying to file bankruptcy. I paid off the attorneys on December 15th, and now I'm waiting for them to actually file. Here are two things I'm a little concerned about:

Im going back to school in February, so I bought a laptop. I Did not put it on a credit card, but rather I paid for it with what I had in my checking account (debit card). My lawyer hadn't said anything about buying things prior to the bankruptcy so I didn't think anything of it since ill be using it, and my lawyers said I had to keep my account balances under $500. But now I'm seeing horror stories online and I'm scared it'll end up getting my case thrown out when they review my financials.

The second thing is, I like to trade movies and games into Amazon, which I've been consistently doing. Over the last 6 months or so, its probably been about $600 or so which I've used for some things for myself as well as an easy means. To get Christmas presents. If I provide my lawyers with a list of everything I've sold, I don't think it will be an issue, but I'm so nervous and freaking out about everything.

Did I royally screw myself with these things?

Neither are any issue. Just disclose everything to your lawyer.
    The laptop should fit in your personal exemptions and the income fromAmazon will be added to your means test. $100/month shouldn't have any affect.

Comment

Originally posted by keepmine View Post
      Neither are any issue. Just disclose everything to your lawyer.
      The laptop should fit in your personal exemptions and the income fromAmazon will be added to your means test. $100/month shouldn't have any affect.
      Selling assets on Amazon does not create income. It's the transfer of one asset (movie) into another (cash). Basically, it's an electronic yard sale for this poster.
      Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by OhioFiler View Post
        Selling assets on Amazon does not create income. It's the transfer of one asset (movie) into another (cash). Basically, it's an electronic yard sale for this poster.
        I agree with OhioFiler that the Amazon sales are not income, they are cash assets that should be exempted if they are sitting in the checking account, if they have been used to purchase something, then the items they purchased should be exempted as part of the household goods. In either case, both the laptop and the amazon sales should be no problem.
        You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

Thank you so much everyone. You have made me feel much better

Comment

I actually had this same situation. I filed at the end of November and I bought a new computer at the beginning of September. I too used money out of my checking account. At my 341 meeting two weeks ago, my trustee did ask what the $1200 purchase was. I told him that I purchased a new laptop and then he asked if i put it under my exemptions which i had. I think you'll be fine.
            Filed: 11/30/10, Successful 341 Meeting: 1/5/11, Discharge 3/7/2011
            Post-filing,Pre-Discharge scores as of 2/16/11: Ex 568, TU 554, EQ 623
            Scores as of 8/12/11: EX 626, TU 620, EQ 630

Comment

Hi all, Hi forge,

Agree w/ the rest, you should be OK Remember, the laptop became a used laptop the minute you stepped out of the store. Kentucky has a lowball homestead exemption (5K) but 3K for personal property + a 1K wildcard...not too shabby...

I did not put it on a credit card.....Right On!!! This is your ace-in-the-hole, good job!

Tom in Colo
              Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X