Questions about assets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions about assets

I have a pretty cut and dry (I think) Ch7. Almost everything I own personally is within the exemption amounts, with the exception of some office furniture and inventory from a business that I recently had to close down.

I'm trying to figure out how having a few thousand dollars (Less than $8-10k) in used office furniture, and proprietary inventory (that by the way, only has a value to a handful of franchise owners in other citires) will affect my case.

1) Can my business's assets be counted towards my expemtions, so that ultiately I can sell these assets and hang on to the cash generated from the sale?
    2) Since the bulk of the value is in inventory that is proprietary and has limited market to resell them, is there a chance that the trustee will see little value in the assets and declare it a no-asset case if he doesn't want to bother will trying to sell the assets to out-of-state buyers.
    3) Are there disadvantages to being declared an "asset" case vs a no-asset case?
    4) Will it cause my ch7 to take longer if the trustee has to stop and sell the assets?
    5) If I can help find buyers for the assets, does the trustee allow me to get involved in making his/her life easier by showing him/her who he can sell to and sort of arranging the sale for him/her?

THanks for the help!
    Last edited by considering7; 01-16-2011, 06:17 AM.

What is the form of the business you recently closed? Corporation?
    Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

It is an LLC. Owned entirely by my wife and I.

Comment

Originally posted by considering7 View Post
        It is an LLC. Owned entirely by my wife and I.
        No exemptions here. The LLC is an asset of yours. It needs to be properly valued, and the trustee will probably either abandon it or give you the option to purchase the assets back at a reduced price.
        All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
        Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X