Secured loan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Secured loan?

My lawyer (the legal assistant) told me the TV I bought at Best Buy and charged to my Best Buy card is a secured loan. I've bought a lot of misc. stuff there so my debt is much larger than just the TV.

Is this really secured?

No. To my knowledge it is not a secured loan.
    My kids better not put my FICO score on my headstone~ (quote by dspii)

Comment

It's a purchase money security interest where the lender (best buy) takes a security interest in whatever you buy on the card.

eta: From what I've read here on the Forum, Best Buy doesn't actually repo anything. They will threaten to do it, but they don't.
      There are two secrets for success in life:
      1.) Never tell everything you know.

Comment

Katie, look for other posts here regarding "purchase money security interest", PMSI, and/or Best Buy. Generally speaking, some store credit cards have a clause that secures your purchase with the item that is purchased - this sounds like the case with your TV. Best Buy will likely make all kinds of legal-sounding noises about coming to get your TV, or demanding that you bring it in to them even after your BK discharge.

These noises can typically be ignored; or, as many posts will advise, politely telling them to come and get it - it is waiting on the front lawn ("better hurry over - it is starting to rain!"). 9 of 10 times, they won't do anything. Or is that 99 out of 100 times? I don't recall...

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X