Cash on Hand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cash on Hand?

Anyone know the limit on how much cash you can have when you file Chpt 7? Since all my credit cards have been canceled I keep $1000 in my checking account for life's little emergencies. I'm guessing the trustee would seize some of that.

What's the limit?

I don't know that there's a limit but at the time I filed I had about $2000 in the bank and roughly $500 in cash listed and the trustee didn't seem at all interested in any of it.

Comment

It depends on your state exemption-or federal if that is an option for you(not in Indiana)-you can also use a wildcard exemption if allowed to exempt cash

I just did a bit of research on Indiana exemptions and I don't see cash specifically exempted-looks like you'd have to exempt under the wildcard exemption-assuming cash is either real or personal property-I would assume it is personal but not sure-anyone?

Also seems to exempt unemployment payments and workers comp as well as most public pension payments and Social Security is exempt-so if you can prove cash is from any of these sources it is exempt (but be careful if any of those payments are comingled with your paycheck)

Bottom line is you are only concerned with Indiana's exemption (assume you are filing there) -ignore comments from those from other states-their experiences don't matter to you
      Last edited by daylate; 01-22-2011, 11:17 AM.

Comment

When i filed my attorney said that $500 was the max i could have. Otherwise it was by, by to anything over that amt.
        filed: 8/10 ...341:10/8/10 ... Discharged & Close: 12/9/10
        "Nothing is easy to the unwilling" Thomas Fuller

Comment

Cash on hand that can be exempted depends on what state you are filing in. Cash on hand would be a cash exemption and would go under either your state's cash exemption amount or the federal cash exemption amount if you are using federal exemptions.
          You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

Originally posted by nekom View Post
            I don't know that there's a limit but at the time I filed I had about $2000 in the bank and roughly $500 in cash listed and the trustee didn't seem at all interested in any of it.
            I would not suggest this strategy to anyone.
            Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

Comment

I was told to have less than $150 in the bank. (I only had $0.14, so no problem there!)
              Filed Ch 7 Pro Se 11-18-2010 341 Meeting 12-16-2010 Discharged 2-15-2011
              New Job 7-2011

Comment

Originally posted by chicagoannie View Post
                I was told to have less than $150 in the bank. (I only had $0.14, so no problem there!)
                Just think annie....you had 7 times your 2 cents worth. LOL
                filed: 8/10 ...341:10/8/10 ... Discharged & Close: 12/9/10
                "Nothing is easy to the unwilling" Thomas Fuller

Comment

Originally posted by oregonpilot View Post
                  Just think annie....you had 7 times your 2 cents worth. LOL
                  BAHAHAHahahahahahaaaa....you are too funny, oregon!
                  Filed Ch 7 Pro Se 11-18-2010 341 Meeting 12-16-2010 Discharged 2-15-2011
                  New Job 7-2011

Comment

check your state exemption and keep as much as you can on hand, you will really need that cash to live off of once the bk is over.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X