top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Filing a Motion to Vacate Default Judgment -- Pro se or attorney?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filing a Motion to Vacate Default Judgment -- Pro se or attorney?

This is a long story, I'll try to be brief!

Yesterday was 30 days up in the civil suit filed by Discover against me. I had a letter asking for an extension into the judge at the suggestion of another member here. I never heard anything from the judge; the court clerk said he read & initialed it, but did not respond yes or no. Gee, thanks.

So Tuesday I submitted my application to have the fee to file an Answer waived. I had to provide evidence that we are receiving SNAP/food benefits, fill out assets, etc, almost like you have to do on BK paperwork. Since my Answer was due yesterday, I mailed (certified) a copy to the attorney for Discover, then submitted my Answer to the court with proof of mailing, as told to do by the court clerk, all for the judge to review with my application for waiver.

Today the clerk called and said the judge denied my request. Great. Yeah, I don't have $137 to file an Answer, okay? She said that I could request a payment plan for the fee. Here are my questions:

1) Would you request a payment plan so your Answer could be entered, to avoid a default judgment?

2) Would you just say forget it and allow the default judgment to be entered and then

A) Pay your attorney to file the Motion to Vacate

OR

B) File the Motion to Vacate yourself?

From what I understand, exempt equity in a home cannot be attached by a lien. Any equity I have is exempt; any equity we have as a couple is exempt. I don't have wages to garnish.

18.395 Homestead exemption. (1) A homestead shall be exempt from sale on execution, from the lien of every judgment and from liability in any form for the debts of the owner to the amount in value of $40,000, except as otherwise provided by law. The exemption shall be effective without the necessity of a claim thereof by the judgment debtor. When two or more members of a household are debtors whose interests in the homestead are subject to sale on execution, the lien of a judgment or liability in any form, their combined exemptions under this section shall not exceed $50,000.
    So....what would you do?
    Filed 5/31/11 341 & Report of No Distribution 7/28/11 Discharged & Closed!! 9/29/11
    "What I won't accept or buy any longer is that my credit score defines who I am. Screw that."

I would request the payment plan for filing an answer to avoid the default judgement. I think it's better to prevent the judgement than to try to have it vacated. This will help to stall things while you figure out your long-term plan. Best of luck to you.
    Non-Consumer Chapter 7
    December 2011

Comment

Hi NewPage,

1) Would you request a payment plan so your Answer could be entered, to avoid a default judgment?....doesn't seem that this would buy you much time, I wouldn't bother unless you have a plan for your answer to get you 30 days or more.

2) Would you just say forget it and allow the default judgment to be entered and then ....if there was no path to delay until your BK filing, I would let it go default

A) Pay your attorney to file the Motion to Vacate ....this being after BK discharge, yes if the BK atty already included it in their fee.
      OR

B) File the Motion to Vacate yourself? ....if my attorney was charging a couple hundred bucks over the filing fee, I would do it myself, its not that hard to do.

Whichever path you tread, good luck to you!

Tom in Colo
      Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

Thought I would give an update on this. After writing 2 letters to the judge to ask for an extension, and getting no response at all, a Fed-Ex envelope arrived today with a copy of a letter from Discover's atty to the judge here. It said that Discover had no objection to a 30 day extension! Yippee! So that will be one less thing I have to deal with, because I will be filed before that 30 days is up.

I should have also done it for Amex. The 30 days for that was 2/13, which I guess technically was 2/14 (Monday) due to the 13th being on a Sunday. I wonder if it's too late to ask the judge for that as well?
        Filed 5/31/11 341 & Report of No Distribution 7/28/11 Discharged & Closed!! 9/29/11
        "What I won't accept or buy any longer is that my credit score defines who I am. Screw that."

Comment

Can't you just file an objection to the motion for judgment? I thought I read that (in our county) a person has 10 days to object, but I don't know if that is true everywhere... and I see that your are 30 days into it... Shoot maybe it's longer where you are? Sorry that isn't much help since I DON'T know... but I am looking to find more info on this myself as we are being sued by Capital one tomorrow, and I just turned in some corrections on our petition, so it won't be done by tomorrow.... *sigh* great.

Comment

On second thought, I think I'd file the paperwork myself!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X