Bank balance timing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bank balance timing question

Here's the situation- We're planning on filing soon and want to make sure our cash in bank is below the exemption limit. One of our accounts is in another state so we can't go and cash a check to buy money orders to pay bills. Our plan is to write a check on Monday to pay our rent from that account. Now it should clear within a week, but under the stuff happens doctrine, it might not. To further "complicate" matters, the money in this account is all SS which is exempt.

So here is the question:

Check written on exempt funds 2/1- we file 2/8 -check hasn't cleared so balance is showing on filing date but it is exempt. Check clears 2/10 (after we file). Is this a problem?

Or asked another way, can you spend exempted cash after filing? I have read and been told different answers by different attorneys. it seems to me that you should be able to from a common sense point of view but as we all know common sense is not always written into law.

Hi daylate,

Doesn't Ohio have a fairly nice wildcard? I think there is a 400 exemption for bank accts, should be doubled in a joint filing.

Exempt stuff is not BK estate stuff, can't see where there would be a problem....

...but as you said, BK law is not always common sense...

Tom in Colo
    Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

Hi Tom. Ohio's wildcard is 1100+-it just went up a bit with the annual adjustment so conceivably a joint filer could exempt 3k in cash.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X