Experian Credit Report has wrong account numbers for credit cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Experian Credit Report has wrong account numbers for credit cards

So I am filling out some worksheets to prepare for filing. I printed out my Experian report. And I have noticed that the account numbers on the report are not the account nubmers (credit card numbers) that are on my statements and correspondence.

Do the creditors change account numbers after being charged off, or something? (Im sure there has to be an obvious reason~)

Otherwise, should I consider challenging these items on the report?

And... in terms of filing, which account number should I use? The one on my cards, or the "new" one on the credit report?

Thanks in advance!!

Which entries have the wrong account numbers. The original entry for the credit card, or the collection agency?

Comment

On the credit report, it lists the original credit card grantor. One example:
      On the report, American Express is listed. In the Creditor's Statement section, it notes "Account closed at credit grantor's request." The account number on this entry shows no similarity to my account number (which is listed on correspondence from American Express AND CollectCorp). There is also a reference number on the CollecCorp letters, but it is not at all like these account numbers.

Comment

My ultimate question here is -- IF there is some error in the account numbers --whether challenging those items would get me off the hook for the debts. If the answer is NO, I am forging ahead with the bankruptcy. If the answer is YES (and not maybe, but YES), it may allow me to deal with the remaining items without going into bankruptcy. Not getting my hopes up, but thought it was worth investigating.

Comment

Definitely NOT going to get you off the hook with your legal liability to the debt. At most, you may be able to dispute the entires to get them off your credit report. Realize, your credit report is not a legal document. It is not a binding representation of the status of your debts. If you owe the debt, you owe the debt. Any mistakes or inaccurate information on your credit report does not change that fact.

However, it is odd that the account numbers are not accurate.

Comment

That's what I thought. I may dispute to ahve the items removed, in a forward-thinking way. Yes, it is odd. Other accounts have the correct numbers.

Thank you for the quick and helpful information!

Comment

Creditors are known to *mask* the last four digits of account numbers when reporting. They will also drop the first x digits as well. They do this for security reasons primarily. It is also not unusual for the bureaus to also have their own flavor of masking the real account numbers as well. For example BOA lists "some" of their account numbers as "XXXX" - that's the whole account number.

You certainly may dispute but more than likely they will not change it. It also has no effect on risk ratings (credit scores).

hth

ps: Once debts are sold/xferred to a collection agency - they assign their own account numbers to the account.

Comment

Yes, maybe the account numbers on the CR are from the collectors. But that has not happened to all accounts that have been charged off.

And just for clarification, I am not talking about teh last four digits. Not just XXXX-ed out digits. I mean something like this:

Original #: 12345678901234
                # on CR: 9075023573075305

BIG difference ;)

Comment

I had this same issue with my four American Express accounts. And when I called the Amex company back after they had left messages for collection calls, I called the number on my credit report- the voice recording actually said 'please use the account number listed on your credit report not the account number on your statement'. I found this to be very interesting. When I actually spoke to a person regarding the accounts and informed them of my bankruptcy; and I asked if they would take the lawyers information; she said no. It was also interesting that a few weeks later AMEX actually changed the account number on one of my accounts on my credit report after I reported bankruptcy to them. I also started participating in the equifax credit watch program while going through this to monitor my accounts listed in bankruptcy. It notifies me every time someone makes any change. I got two such notices also from AMEX after that call I made to them where they listed a 'suit/judgment' on my experien report. I looked at that report and there is no such thing whatsoever regarding any suit or judgment filed anywhere. Plus the statuses are all wrong. They inquired into my report in February on the 5th and did not change the status to bankruptcy petition where most of the other creditors have already started doing and they are still reporting lateness etc even after being notified of the bankruptcy a month ago. I disputed this of course. My point is that AMEX started all of this new activity AFTER I notified them of bankruptcy. I expect in a few weeks they will report it correctly after the dispute works itself through.

Comment

Hi all,

Credit reports are notoriously full of errors. After your case closes, pull all three and begin clean-up. Remember their initial reaction is "no" Be persistent, use letters.

For the BK, use the account # off the original acct or whatever the collection agency sends in the mail. Use the credit report for anything you didn't get a letter about, or can't find the letter they sent.

It's not that big of a deal, unsecured debts are considered discharged even if there is a mistake on the BK paperwork. Just do your best.

Tom in Colo
                    Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X