Question about making purchases 1 month prior to filing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about making purchases 1 month prior to filing

How closely are purchases (make with your check card) looked at before filing?

Example: is going out to eat a few times ok or what about something purchased over $100.

Reason I'm asking is I was going to purchase a pair of tickets for a show but I'm being reimbursed by someone for half the cost. The total would be about $175.

I'm afraid to use my check card but really don't have any other option b/c I'm not sure how if a pre paid card could be used for online ticket purchases.

Or should I just forget about it and not get them?

Thanks!
    "I DECLARE BANKRUPTCY!" Ch 7 Filed 7/15/11 * 3 Minute 341 8/19/11 * Discharged 10/20/11

Just my opinion but I don't see why not. I'd make sure when I was reimbursed I put the money in the bank as a deposit so you could show the reimbursement. Other thought why not have the other person buy and you reimburse them? I understand that might be a bit awkward as to why you would ask them but if not a problem that seems like easiest approach. And I'm guessing that even the whole 175 wouldn't be an issue. Now if you have to fly first class to Rome to see it could be another issue. And I had a prepaid card that my car company sent me that I used successfully everywhere but online-I don't know why that would be a problem, if it is a prepaid Visa/MC etc I would be amazed if it didn't fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Freddy03 View Post

I'm afraid to use my check card but really don't have any other option b/c I'm not sure how if a pre paid card could be used for online ticket purchases.
      A prepaid card is not a problem for online purchases.
      All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
      Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Thanks

The other person has to work so he can't be online in time when the tickets go on sale.

I wonder if getting a walmart pre paid visa tomorrow would work? I read on their websit that it stated you are issued a temp card and a personal card will be mailed to you. I need to make the purchase tomorrow.

Anyone know how that works?
        "I DECLARE BANKRUPTCY!" Ch 7 Filed 7/15/11 * 3 Minute 341 8/19/11 * Discharged 10/20/11

Comment

Purchase the tickets with either your debit card or a pre-paid card. To purchase them with a credit card knowing you are going to file for BK is just wrong, unless you are going to pay that off before filing.
          Filed Chapter 13 02/2006 - Confirmed 05/2006 - Discharged 09/2011
          I'm not an attorney. My replies are merely suggestions or observations, not legal advice. As always, consult with an attorney before making any decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by newbie2 View Post
            Purchase the tickets with either your debit card or a pre-paid card. To purchase them with a credit card knowing you are going to file for BK is just wrong, unless you are going to pay that off before filing.

I believe OP said he was going to purchase with check (debit) card.

Comment

Using prepaid cards for expenses like this is a sound way to go. Any purchases made on a debit card may be questioned by a nasty trustee, if they look like they are extravagant (which is totally subjective on behalf of the trustee of course). Any purchases made on a credit card close to filing would be considered fraudulent, although for small amounts, would not trigger an AP most likely.
              You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

Why is it bad to spend non-credit money before filing? Is this still bad if you are exempting a large amount of cash?

Comment

I wouldn't be using a credit card (I don't even have one to use..LOL)

I'll use a pre paid walmart card but won't my debit to walmart be questioned too?

Comment

Originally posted by Freddy03 View Post
                    I wouldn't be using a credit card (I don't even have one to use..LOL)

I'll use a pre paid walmart card but won't my debit to walmart be questioned too?
                    I apologize, I mis-read your original post. No, your debit to walmart shouldn't be questioned. It is such a small amount and you are allowed to have a life ;-) Have fun!
                    Filed Chapter 13 02/2006 - Confirmed 05/2006 - Discharged 09/2011
                    I'm not an attorney. My replies are merely suggestions or observations, not legal advice. As always, consult with an attorney before making any decisions.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X