top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I stop making purchases on a credit card- even if I'm only an authorized user?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I stop making purchases on a credit card- even if I'm only an authorized user?

I am planning to file for BK and I have stopped using my credit cards. Someone very close to me has allowed me to be an authorized user for their credit card. It is for necessity items like food, etc.

What worries me is that I have a defaulted credit card account with the same creditor in which I am an authorized user.

Should I stop making purchases on this card? Especially since I am filing for Ch 7 BK?
    It is advised to stop making purchases on credit prior to filing BK, but should purchases as an authorized user be stopped also?

Thanks in advance.

I would stop, for this reason: How are you going to survive post bankruptcy if you can't pay cash for living expenses? If you need to continue to use a credit card, you have to fix that situation (the lack of income).
    Filed Chapter 13 02/2006 - Confirmed 05/2006 - Discharged 09/2011
    I'm not an attorney. My replies are merely suggestions or observations, not legal advice. As always, consult with an attorney before making any decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by newbie2 View Post
      I would stop, for this reason: How are you going to survive post bankruptcy if you can't pay cash for living expenses? If you need to continue to use a credit card, you have to fix that situation (the lack of income).
      I agree. Learn to live within your means, starting immediately.
      All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
      Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Hi illitius,

Using a credit card in the 90 days before filing is one of the BK taboos, best course is to quit while you're ahead. Or in a BK it would be 'quit while you're behind'

Small puchases for lifes necessities are not going to be a problem though. Might draw a frown from the trustee, but thats about it.

The bigger problem is when you file BK, any credit card w/ your name on it will probably be closed immediately. It is just a knee-jerk reaction from credit card companies....if your name pops out of the database, that account gets closed. Later you can get it settled out but in the meantime give a heads up to the cardholder.

Good luck w. your filing!

Tom in Colo
        Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X