My BK story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My BK story

I can't help it. I check my status on pacer everyday. There has been no updates in the last 52 days so I assume I am pretty much home free but I can't stop checking.

It's been a long journey to this point. Filed Ch. 13 on January 10, 2010 and made 7 months of payments at $900/month. While making these payments I continued to pay house payment as I had every intention of keeping the house. The thought of losing the house was rather scary for some reason...not sure why as it was underwater approximately 20% and we have family of 5 living in 3 bed 1 bath home. But the thought of losing our home gave my wife anxiety and I never really considered it an option. Then we had our third child in June and my wife quit her job to stay with the kids. This loss of income combined with the new addition to the family now qualified me for a Ch. 7. However, my attorney wanted to wait until the Ch. 13 was confirmed before we converted. Finally, on November 8, 2010 I filed to convert. Had 341 meeting on December 17 and believe 60 days is next saturday. I can't wait to check pacer that following Monday. I was thrilled to convert as I was sturggling to make my trustee payment of $900/month even before my wife quit her job. Additionally, based on the knowledge I gained from all of you on this site there was no way I was going to continue to pay my mortgage. I decided to surrender the home and stopped making payments in October 2010. We are going to stay rent free as long as we can. The funny thing is citimartgage has not even sent any notices of default or threatend to foreclose. I imagine they will get their act together and send me default letter sometime after discharge but who knows right?

I know this is getting lengthy but another interesting point about my bankruptcy is that my Corporate credit card for which I carried no personal debt was cancelled by the card company way back when I filed Ch. 13. I had a personal credit card with the same bank. This sent me into a panic as I am required to travel a lot for work. I kept my tax refund in February 2010 and did not give it to trustee. I put this money aside to get me through travel and paid out of my own pocket and replenished the money when I got reimbursed. This got me through my travel season but it was rough. Then this November I spoke to HR about getting a reduced limit card to get me through all the travel this year. And you wouldnt bellieve it but the credit card company approved for a brand new card with the same limits as before. I no longer have to worry about travel. LIke I said this is corp card and is not listed on my credit report and i carry no personal debt on the card.

Anyway, I will keep you all updated when I finally get discharged. I also previously posted about my student loan situation. I will let you know how that turns out. USA funds (guarantor) still lists my account as closed with $0 balance. I know per HHM that this doesn't mean anything but I wonder if USA funds could have closed my account. Why would it show up as closed and not forebearance?? Anyway you can search my posts if you want to see that one. I only have a few.

When I get discharged I am going to celebrate as the weight of $250k of debt ($151k mortgage) will be lifted off of my shoulders and I will officially have a fresh start. I learned a vaulable lesson in all of this and I truly believe that I will make the best of my second chance. Thanks everyone for reading my story.

Congrats!

Comment

Hope your official discharge comes soon! Thanks for sharing your story. What all was required of you to convert your 13 to a 7? We are going to be filing soon and I'm thinking we will be able to do a 7 based on my calculations. If we get into a 13 we may need to convert to a 7 later this year as I am expecting in the fall and will take an unpaid maternity leave and possibly quit my job as well.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X