top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Affordable Oregon Bankruptcy Attorney/Waiver of Court Filing Fees?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Affordable Oregon Bankruptcy Attorney/Waiver of Court Filing Fees?

I am new here (just joined today) so I do not know if this is the proper place to request contact information regarding an affordable Oregon bankruptcy attorney.
    Hence, I will ask for your patience and forbearance.

I live in Linn County, Oregon.
    The county seat is Albany.
    Other cities (in neighboring counties) are Salem, Eugene, Corvallis.
    Portland is a one and one-half hour drive from my location but I will consider a Portland attorney if I can afford the fees.

I realize that "affordable" and "attorney" are not the best combination and, indeed, I have been researching a few "afforable attorneys" via Google and the commentaries from former clients have not always been favorable.

However, I am still in need of either a flexible payment plan or an affordable upfront attorney's fee.

Also, can anyone tell me how difficult it may be to have some bankruptcy court filing
    fees waived due to legitimate hardship?
    I understand that such a waiver is possible under Oregon law.

I will deeply appreciate any advice in regard to these matters.

Thank you very much.

Those with recommendations are free to PM you with the information. We just are not allowed to mention attorneys by name on the Public Side.

Thanks for your understanding and welcome to the Forum. Feel free to ask questions though.
    "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Dear Angelina: Many thanks for clarifying all this.

Fellow board members, by all means, please PM me.

Thanking you in advance...........

Comment

Hi Ironbamboo and welcome!

You have to take a class before you can file BK, it might be a good idea to contact the non-profit consumer credit counseling agency and take the class. http://www.cccsso.org ...this should be a starting point, if they are not close to you, ask for another agency that is. (Watch out, there is a for-profit consumer credit counseling, don't go there)

The reason I suggest them, is that non-profit ccc usually has a sliding fee or waiver for the class and can point you to some lower cost legal services. They should also be able to assess how complex your case is, which might tell you "how much lawyer" you need.

For the fee waiver, there are two animals....the court filing fee and the attorneys fee (also called a retainer) What the attorney charges is up to them of course. The $299 court filing fee can be waived, there is a set formula for that.

Another great resource is the NOLO book. www.nolo.com Basically a step-by-step how-to file BK guide.

And of course, keep posting here, lots of good folks to help out!

Tom in Colo
        Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

NACBA.org is the associations website and there you can find good attorneys or at least attorneys that are willing to pay the annual membership fee.

BK attorneys have to make a living so if you are absolutely broke you may need to find if their is legal aid in your county.

Good luck
          Disclaimer: I am not an actor on TV, but I play a BK Paralegal in real life. Nothing I say should be construed as legal advice, or really anything but entertainment. Please seek out professional help.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X