Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will I qualify for Chapter 7 living at home

Hi,

I just got divorced last October. I have credit card debt of about 55,000. I need to file because I have no money left over after minimums and my car payment. I am slightly over the median income for CA. I moved back home with my mom and cannot afford to pay any rent or expenses. After car and cards I have no money. Will I qualify for Chapter 7?

If you stop paying the cards do you have any money left over? If yes, then you may end up in ch.13 territory, especially since you're over the median and don't own a home....
    Filed Chapter 13 on 2-28-10. 341 completed 4/14/10. Confirmed 5/14/10. Lien strip granted 2/2/11
    0% payback to unsecured creditors, 56 payments down, 4 to go....

Comment

If I stopped paying on the cards I would immediately start paying utilities and a portion of my moms mortgage.

Comment

Brokeathome,

It sure sounds like you will have a good chance of qualifying for a CH 7. I would suggest interviewing 2-3 attorneys. Sometimes they will do the means test before you pay anything and sometimes you have to pay a small fee for them to do the means test. Good luck.

Mike.

Comment

Hi brokeathome,

I think there is a good online means-test calculator on legalconsumer.com

Another help might be the NOLO book, www.nolo.com Basic step-by-step BK instruction manual

And of course, lots of folks here to help out, welcome!

Tom in Colo
          Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X