Yet another tax return question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yet another tax return question

We had our 341 on 2/14 and looked at Pacer the next day and we were already listed as a "no asset" case. We are getting a divorce soon and calculated our return prior to the 341. The trustee asked how much we would get back. If filing married separately, I would receive $300 and he would receive about $500. These are the amounts that we told the trustee. He was not interested in taking our returns and did not request a copy of our returns from our attorney. Of course, we would get a bigger refund if we filed jointly.
    Would it be possible to still file jointly?

While from a tax perspective it is still possible, I would think that it could easily be construed as fraud if you did and didn't update the trustee-just my sense of what's right and wrong- I'm guessing difference is a couple of hundred dollars-doesn't seem worth it to possibly irritate the trustee-check with your attorney to be sure

Comment

hrs1980,

Tell your attorney you changed your mind and are going to file jointly. Follow their advice, after all, thats what you paid 'em for, right?

Tom in Colo
      Ch7 filed 5/12/2010.....341 meeting 6/30/2010....report of no distribution 8/15/2010.....discharged 10/01/2010.....closed 11/09/2010

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X